Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Could Sept 11 been prevented?  (Read 3167 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Could Sept 11 been prevented?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 10:10:07 AM »
I must agree. It seems the new thing on the news is that lady camped out for Bush. Also, they are still talking abotu those missing girls in Aruba. It has been HOW long?
There are many missing persons HERE in the US that they can show on the news and possibly find before it is too late. It is way closer to some of thier disappearances and may be better to show them instead of those other girls.

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 11:59:11 AM »
Part of me thinks the Rove thing was a really big deal with all kinds of serious implications....but another part of me just felt like is was a whole bunch of foo foo nothing

It had my interest for about 2 weeks. Now I'm ready for the next thing.

It's still not clear to me exactly what he did/didn't do, so I thought it was way too premature to jump to conclusions the way some did. I'll withold judgment until I actually know all the facts.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »
Part of me thinks the Rove thing was a really big deal with all kinds of serious implications....but another part of me just felt like is was a whole bunch of foo foo nothing

It had my interest for about 2 weeks. Now I'm ready for the next thing.

it was (and is) a big deal.  but the short attention span of the American public has prevailed again.  oh, that and media agenda-setting.

personally, I'd like to see more info surface regarding the Downing memo.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005, 01:01:28 PM »
Not to sound stupid, but I don't even know what that is, I've only heard someone mention it on the news like once.

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2005, 01:15:33 PM »
Not to sound stupid, but I don't even know what that is, I've only heard someone mention it on the news like once.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Street_memo

basically, it points toward the idea that Bush had planned on invading Iraq regardless of Saddam's apparent threat to the U.S. or Britain, and that a "Saddam threat" was basically a fabrication to justify the invasion.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »
People think that he planned this even before he became pres, or before Sept 11, or after it?

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2005, 10:33:50 PM »
the memo indicates, in the eyes of some (myself included) that  Bush wanted to invade Iraq regardless of Saddam's compliance with handing over WMDs.

this isn't necessarily unbiased, but gives you an idea of the argument.

http://www.downingstreetmemo.com/whycare.html

Orestes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2005, 10:54:28 PM »
the memo indicates, in the eyes of some (myself included) that  Bush wanted to invade Iraq regardless of Saddam's compliance with handing over WMDs.

this isn't necessarily unbiased, but gives you an idea of the argument.

http://www.downingstreetmemo.com/whycare.html

There were plans for invading Iraq even before Bush was appointed by the Supreme Court--that is, when he was campaigning as a non-interventionist. I'm sure you know that Marx, but the other posters here are quite uninformed.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2005, 11:40:21 PM »
Hindsight is always 20/20.   ::)

does that also apply to WMD then?

The whole WMD thing and the justification for going to war with Iraq is why I didn't vote for Bush in 04.  I'm in the AF, and if I'd have screwed up that badly, I'd have been court-martialed... and I should know... I work in Military Justice.

aye thought we went into iraq to eliminate hussein's children from ever coming to power...destroy the baath party...remove a dictator...and plant the seeds for a government where the men and women had a say in the matter...let THE PEOPLE of iraq be in charge of their VAST oil reserves...second only to saudia arabia...

the weapons of mass destruction to me is a side story...

hussein was a REAL threat...his sons were an even scarier proposition...
remember a little invasion in kuwait?  why did hussein invade kuwait...he wanted to control the world's third largest oil reserve.

then sanctions were implemented...and that went well. ;)

yes, our mission should have also focused more effort on securing the border of syria and the perimeter...absolutly...a messy stabilization effort is happening.

but a fledgling government was voted upon by iraqis...and a constitution is being etched out...time is needed.

now...could 911 have been prevented...that IS hindsight...truly...
aye don't understand why people chose to focus on this...
who really cares if the reagan administration...the bush sr. administration ...the clinton administration...the bush jr. administration  could have prevented 911...it happened...

now it is time to be on the offensive and work toward disabling "crescenting clerics" and twarting the efforts of "crescenting global guerillas"...

px.o.rsta

post script:

bush jr. wanted to remove the regime of hussein and his sons and the baath party...long before he was elected to office...his father wanted to do the same...it was a continued thought process started by his father.

it began a short time after hussein invaded kuwait...
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

PresClay_00

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 08:30:24 AM »
There were plans for invading Iraq even before Bush was appointed by the Supreme Court--that is, when he was campaigning as a non-interventionist. I'm sure you know that Marx, but the other posters here are quite uninformed.

that alone makes anything else you say worthless