Law School Discussion

business major-> bad??

Re: business major-> bad??
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 12:25:04 PM »
It's a bit ridiculous, although true, that many programs are considered 'jokes' while others are considered stellar.

For example, some would find Medicine & Health Sciences rigorous disciplines, and consider Criminal Justice a joke.

However, at some schools, such as Simon Fraser University (one of Canada's top schools), Criminology/Criminal Justice is the top field at the university. Professors are frequently at the front stage of the discipline and have high profiles in numerous court cases. In addition, students are required to complete the equivalent of an honours thesis, no matter if their GPA is 3.0 or 4.0 (a 6 credit course).

However, at SFU, medicine is not offered. There are some science programs, but nobody even really knows that they exist.

I believe the same can go likewise for a discipline such as Business. While some schools have insanely rigorous Business programs, others have other "shining star departments" that they like to focus on. To simply say that business is a joke, is being inaccurate.

I'm saying this despite what admissions thinks. I know how it 'really' goes, but that's just my feelings. After all, what about the thousands of applicants who AREN'T riding their entire degree on law school admissions? I'd rather default with a Business degree than Philosophy.

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 02:02:06 PM »
I would assert that it is the stereotype of the business major, and not the major itself, that is in fact frowned upon. I say this because I was a business major myself and although my big state U is not ranked top 5 in finance, we still had very rigorous classes. I think when I applied to the top law schools, they saw that I was not the stereotypical ex-athlete business student (my numbers backed this assertion) who is just sailing through college to run daddy's business. I tried to portray my finance degree as an accomplishment of academic study, not multiple choice tests. It was a clean sweep for me. I will admit that one anecdote is certainly NOT a good dissent against the general wisdom of this thread, however I still believe that a candidate can do and participate in certain things to show that her business degree was earned through hard work. Some examples might be community service, publications within your business field of choice (econ, fin, acct, even mgmt!), club membership, internships, research, etc. I think if you combine a few of these with your business degree, law schools will see that you aren't FRAT_STUD_2_LAW, and that your reasoning skills/commitment/academic focus are just as good as any other applicants.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 03:05:45 PM »
I think they frown upon these types of courses because, in many cases, the courses are not as rigorous when it comes to critical thinking, reading, and writing as many courses in the liberal arts.  These are the skills that are valued in law school.  At many places, these are the kinds of courses where everyone learns out of a big hardbound textbook with lots of pictures, take nothing but multiple guess tests, and pass everything with flying colors if you just memorize the definitions of the bold-faced words in the chapter and know all the charts.  At least that was my experience as a Business minor at a big state university.  It was also the experience of many of my friends who majored in journalism or criminal justice.  In these classes, you didn't read very much, and you almost never wrote many papers (maybe 1 per class, often none for many classes).  This kind of program is not good preparation for law school.  It may be different where others go to school, and if it is, you have to make sure the admissions committee reviewing your application KNOWS that.

Gee lets see. Liberal arts classes are a joke, they are the easy classes and majors. I am a Finance major as well (like some posting above). I don't know many majors that can challenge critical thinking and strategy as much as finance can and does--economics as well. Both majors are built upon theories and applied mathematical science. I mean, hell, Finance is all about analying economic conditions, examining data of corporations and the market, and making critical decisions as too how to proceed with investment and whatnot. My business classes, and Finance especially, were heavily project/paper oriented and exams were not multiple choice. Some classes had cases assigned and we had to solve problems. The entire field is a theoretical approach to economics and business.

I don't really agree with the liberal arts degree being a more "broad" degree. Business majors have 2 years to fulfill general college requiremets in which certain hour requirements must be met in each "subject" just like liberal arts majors do. The only difference is those liberal arts majors end up focusing in english, or history and the business majors end of focusing in business. Why, because a business student who takes all sorts of broad clases the first 2 years, gets shunned for focusing in a field of business instead of continuing a focus in a "liberal arts major" is beyond me. Those majors, are the ones that are least likely to land you a job and almost tailor students to continue into grad work and they focus narrowly in their respective field as well (just like business degrees do). Isn't that the point of the degree? to start off broad, and narrow down in a subject? All degrees are like that, even liberal arts degrees. At the end of the day the better part of the last 2 years are spent in a given subject area, period.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 03:24:41 PM »
If you're a business major, adcomms will look at your transcript to see that you ventured beyond your business curriculum.  If you have, then you don't have much to worry about.  The same holds true for liberal arts majors (adcomms like to see classes taken outside your major, and preferably outside your division, such as science).  Study subjects outside your major, and you should be fine.

John Galt

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 03:34:12 PM »
Nope, my sources say that if you are a business major with no liberal arts minor, it is an automatic waitlist (if your numbers are good) at the top schools.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ANNABEL!   ;D

In all seriousness, adcomms frown on B's on the transcript, they frown on undergraduates who write about why they want to go to law school, they frown on people who have kids, etc. Yet, people like these seem to get into law school on a regular basis...

They prefer 180 LSATs, they prefer under-represented minorities, they prefer liberal arts and hard science majors....curiously there are people other than these that get into law school  :o

somniferum

• Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 10:02:31 PM »
If you're a business major, adcomms will look at your transcript to see that you ventured beyond your business curriculum.  If you have, then you don't have much to worry about.  The same holds true for liberal arts majors (adcomms like to see classes taken outside your major, and preferably outside your division, such as science).  Study subjects outside your major, and you should be fine.

Bwhahaha my friends said I was crazy, but I knew that 4000 level "Classical Mythology" class would help me out someday!

BBA in MIS

John Galt

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 10:34:06 PM »
is anything at a third tier toilet the best thing?

John Galt

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »
Anyone with a modicum of interest in math should not be allowed in law school. At least that's what I would say if I was a dean.

John Galt

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 11:08:06 PM »
See that's what it all comes down to...thats all you school of B people think about, money.

lol, I was j/k. I have major respect for b-school students, especially finance.

gadfly

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »
See that's what it all comes down to...thats all you school of B people think about, money.

It's in our genes...money is the sole purpose for majoring in business..money money and more money

But seriously I don't see why it should make a difference as long as you do well on the lsat and have a high gpa. I've majored in international business and minored in English and French. But for my work experience I've been working with nonprofit organizations and been taking part in social service and humanities activities. I hope this is not categorized as a discrepency in my goals but rather a portrayal in the variety of my interests. hopefully . ayy...so many things to think worry and hyperventilate about  :-\