Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Don't take this the wrong way, but...  (Read 878 times)

billmcbain

• View Profile
Don't take this the wrong way, but...
« on: August 10, 2005, 02:02:21 PM »
What is the main cause of mid to late August withdrawals?

Cold feet for law school?

Didn't show up for orientation and too lazy to let the school know?

Got in at another wait list at the last minute?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't take this the wrong way, but...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 02:14:28 PM »
The last one.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

jagertrinken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:20:27 PM »
Prob the last one.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:21:01 PM »
Unexplained death.

billmcbain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 02:44:51 PM »
Then who left to give them their new spots then?

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »
Well, the most are clearly from your last reason. But the other reasons are what open up those spots. For example, one kid at Harvard gets cold feet & backs out. So, they accept someone from the waitlist who was originally going to Chicago. Now, Chicago has an open spot & takes someone from their waitlist who was going to Northwestern. Now Northwestern takes the guy who was going to BU.... & it trickles on down the line. So, one person's cold feet can open up waitlist spots for a dozen other people.

Also, to your list including cold feet & laziness I would add 1. people who get job offers late in the game & decide to accept jobs rather than go to law school.  2. People who realize that their previous financial plans aren't going to work & defer for a year while they straighten out their monetary situations  3. People who experience a trajedy (like death in the family) & decide that they can't handle school right now... & I'm sure there are a bunch of others. The point is, not all people who back out at the last minute do it because they're nervous about the workload or lazy.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

billmcbain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »
Well, the most are clearly from your last reason. But the other reasons are what open up those spots. For example, one kid at Harvard gets cold feet & backs out. So, they accept someone from the waitlist who was originally going to Chicago. Now, Chicago has an open spot & takes someone from their waitlist who was going to Northwestern. Now Northwestern takes the guy who was going to BU.... & it trickles on down the line. So, one person's cold feet can open up waitlist spots for a dozen other people.

Also, to your list including cold feet & laziness I would add 1. people who get job offers late in the game & decide to accept jobs rather than go to law school.  2. People who realize that their previous financial plans aren't going to work & defer for a year while they straighten out their monetary situations  3. People who experience a trajedy (like death in the family) & decide that they can't handle school right now... & I'm sure there are a bunch of others. The point is, not all people who back out at the last minute do it because they're nervous about the workload or lazy.

I wasn't saying that people who drop out at the last minute are lazy or are bad people at all. When I said "too lazy" I was referring to people who like are going to Prestigious U but won't tell Elite Law Center that they aren't going there anymore and wait for them to figure it out at orientation.

In reality, I think people who think about doing something else besides law school even at the last minute are playing it smart.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 02:12:08 AM »
Some people also put deposits down at numerous schools, and hold out until the last minute.  Some guy just posted about having deposits down at 3 schools, and then having to tell 2 of them he is not going days prior to orientation.  There is a lot of gamesmanship at this stage, and holding out to try and negotiate more money seems pretty commonplace.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »
Some people also put deposits down at numerous schools, and hold out until the last minute. Some guy just posted about having deposits down at 3 schools, and then having to tell 2 of them he is not going days prior to orientation. There is a lot of gamesmanship at this stage, and holding out to try and negotiate more money seems pretty commonplace.

Wow that just annoys me how some people are waiting to get more money from schools. I don't want any schools money, i just want them to let me in DAMIT!!.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31:29 PM »
Some people also put deposits down at numerous schools, and hold out until the last minute. Some guy just posted about having deposits down at 3 schools, and then having to tell 2 of them he is not going days prior to orientation. There is a lot of gamesmanship at this stage, and holding out to try and negotiate more money seems pretty commonplace.

Wow that just annoys me how some people are waiting to get more money from schools. I don't want any schools money, i just want them to let me in DAMIT!!.

You aimed too high... you flew too close to the sun wearing wings of wax and feathers.  Better luck next year.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166