Law School Discussion

How many??

How many??
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:58 AM »
hey y'all, how many recs are you sending to each school?  Do most T14 schools want only 2 recs or do they prefer more?  I have two good professor recs as of right now, and I could get a third or a fourth...but whats the point?  does this add to application or piss people off??

should i get an employer rec?

(fyi my reach=HYS, target=CCN)

verbal213

• Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
Re: How many??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:02:44 PM »
I am sending 3 to all schools, and hopefully 4 to one (the original 3 plus one targeted).  If you are a student, I think that 2 academic plus one professional rec is a good number.  If you are not right out of school, you might want it the other way around.  Some people say that 4 is overkill, but I think it's fine.  LSAC has a page that lists all the schools and their requirement plus how many they'll accept.  Click on LSDAS/LOR and go to the overview.

hth
verb

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 10:58:51 AM »
don't expect adcomms to read 4.  I mean, they might, but *&^%, if they recommend 2 or 3, then that's what you should give them.  they are busy.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 02:51:58 PM »
I would send them only what they recommend.  If it says 2 acepted and 3 recommended... of course send 3.  I really can't see sending 4 for any reason, even if they accept 4.  I agree with the person above... it seems like overkill.

~newhopeful

inthesun

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:56:21 PM »
I sent four to Duke, and no more when they waitlisted me.  For schools where my numbers were weak, I wanted them to get a fuller picture of me.  I sent 2-3 to my target schools.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 05:11:12 PM »
I'll restate what I meant to say in my earlier post, because now that I read it, I think it comes off the wrong way.

If you have tons of experience outside of school (years of WE, etc) then 3-4 could be useful.  I will probably start by sending two, as I'm not sure if my 3rd will really add anything the others haven't adequately covered.  If you are thinking about sending others, make sure that they are not saying the same things are your other letters.

Ditto