Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: advantage of being a minority  (Read 8996 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: advantage of being a minority
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2005, 12:34:12 PM »
oh really.... how do you know?

I know, can you tell sarcasm in any of my posts?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 12:37:01 PM »
I said "I know" to the point you made that you cannot always tell whether a person is black or not. It IS true, and I agree with you.
Just like people trying to tell whether someone is a white male or not.

John Galt

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 12:37:42 PM »
Well, AA should just be got rid of, that's what I think. Some poeple on the other AA threads are saying that AA is there to make up for past discrimination against blacks. If this is the case, then Asians should NOT get it, nor Hispanics. But I think the whole idea of AA is stupid anyways.

Vin, stop talking about affirmative action. We get it, you don't like it. Now think of a good reason why we should abolish it.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 12:45:25 PM »
As I've said countless other times in many threads, I believe that it does not benefit society at all.
First off, the people that SHOULD be getting it are not because from the very beginning they are at a disadvantage. AA is only really helping the upper class minorities (on the whole).
Second, I must say that just because you are a minority should not make you qualify. There are many deserving poor students that are not minorities that would also benefit. I would be more for AA if it were based on socioeconomic backgrounds.
Third, it seems that AA is pulling people apart more than anything. Some people are getting very upset (like me, I admit it) that this is a bad program, and others think that the people that get in because of AA (whether we know they did or not for a fact) are only getting in because of this. This creates animosity between races moreso than there needs to be. The people gettin in on AA would get in even if it weren't there because they have a thing called MERIT. This is important and they have shown that they deserve to get in, but letting there be AA they don't necessarily know whether they got in because of the merit or because of AA, and I think this is a bad thing to deal with as well.

Those are my reasons, I think AA is pulling American further apart and perpetuating problems with race relations rather than what it was supposed to do: help disadvantaged minorities.
Some say diversity, but I don't believe that is the reason, just to make the Republicans (and I know I am one, so you see, I CAN criticize my own party) feel good about themselves.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 02:46:24 PM »
Affirmative action is not just solely intentioned as a way to compensate for past discrimination.  Law schools (and schools in general) employ it because they are trying to prepare their students for a globalized world in which interaction with people of different types is a necessary part of politics, business, and life in general.  This is why there is a strong push for the admission of international students, and students from geographically diverse parts of the country.  Affirmative Action is not limited to race.  It also extends to socioeconomic status and geography.  No one seems to focus on the guy who got a boost to his admission because he's from Nebraska rather than from New York.  They only focus on the guy who got a boost because he's black. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 03:59:07 PM »
Then show me where AA is talked of being meant in those terms. People talk about it as in race because that is what it was meant as, to bring more blacks to the workforce etc.

Many people on here have said that it was made to rectify past injustices, read some of the other threads and you can get a grasp on why  people are opposing it.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2005, 04:54:32 PM »
I understand fully why some people are opposed to it.  I personally am opposed to it in many of its incarnations (I'm a URM, and admittedly will take advantage of that boost, but I do not agree with AA policies that admit unqualified students).  However, I think many people oppose AA without fully understanding the ramifications of removing it.  If AA were removed completely and admissions was solely dependant on "merit" (which is a nebulous criterion), many top schools would be predominantly Asian by default (Berkeley, Stanford, many of the Ivy's, MIT, Caltech, etc).  Schools would also lose a lot of the geographic diversity they seek (top national schools would become regional schools).  Affirmative action is not nearly as cut-and-dry as "unqualified blacks and hispanics get spots into schools that a qualified white person should have gotten into."  Asians could argue that unqualified (or comparatively under-qualified) whites are taking their spots at these same schools.
Yale.Law.School.2010

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2005, 04:56:08 PM »
When did I say that the people getting in on AA are majorly unqualified? I did not say that.

I am suggesting that AA be changed to ONLY incorporate socieoeconomic adversity

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »
I wasn't targeting your contentions against AA, I was just talking about one commonly used argument against AA (probably THE most used argument against AA).
Yale.Law.School.2010

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2005, 05:01:04 PM »
Yes, I think that that IS, and I agree that there would probably be more asians at the top law schools, but they earned it, did theynot?