Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: advantage of being a minority  (Read 8857 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: advantage of being a minority
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 01:19:08 PM »
What tribe are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

inthesun

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
I never said that it's best to be an NA.  I simply said that yes they are highly recruited (more than Mexican Americans, less than Af Am).  Also, in my previous post, I meant that saying a school has single digit NAs doesn't mean that school isn't trying to recruit NAs, or regards them less than other URM groups.  It may just have to do with the amount of NA applicants.  It is one thing to say that NAs aren't as recruited as Af Am males, and quite another to say that they aren't highly recruited at all.  Sorry for the confusion.  :)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 04:10:29 PM »
Asians are very much at a disadvantage when applying to law school (or any school for that matter).  They are victims of their own success.  I have a friend (asian) who is applying to law schools and he has to work thrice as hard as most other applicants in order to be as competitive because his marks have to be higher than the school's averages in most cases in order to be considered.
Yale.Law.School.2010

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »
Asians are very much at a disadvantage when applying to law school (or any school for that matter).  They are victims of their own success.  I have a friend (asian) who is applying to law schools and he has to work thrice as hard as most other applicants in order to be as competitive because his marks have to be higher than the school's averages in most cases in order to be considered.

That's actually not true in the general case. It depends very much on the region of the school --- it might be true, for instance, in California, but most certainly not in the South or Midwest. I wouldn't be surprised if they got even the teenest boost in these areas because (1) there are simply not alot of asians applying to law school (although that's changing) and (2) applying to schools in this area in particular.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 01:51:38 AM »
That's true, it does depend on region, but since my friend is aiming for top 6 schools, he's at a disadvantage.
Yale.Law.School.2010

John Galt

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2005, 02:01:58 AM »
Why exactly should asians recieve any affirmative action to begin with?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2005, 09:01:08 AM »
Why exactly should asians recieve any affirmative action to begin with?

Part of affirmative action (aside from compensating for disadvantages) is to create a student population that is close to being representative of the larger population.  For this reason, Asians would receive some sort of AA, but because the qualified asian applicant pool is so large, the rate at which they get accepted is among the lowest (if not the lowest).  Also, there is no perceived disadvantage for asians (they do, afterall, enjoy the highest median income in the US out of any other racial group, whites included).  Just look at LSN for a rough idea.   Most of the top asian students got rejected from at least some of their choices even though they were certainly qualified, whereas black or hispanic applicants with similar numbers got into those schools and others. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 08:51:33 AM »
Well, AA should just be got rid of, that's what I think. Some poeple on the other AA threads are saying that AA is there to make up for past discrimination against blacks. If this is the case, then Asians should NOT get it, nor Hispanics. But I think the whole idea of AA is stupid anyways.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »
you can't always tell that a person is black ::)

which is different than being black, everybody can TELL that you are by looking at you.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 12:32:17 PM »
I know, can you tell sarcasm in any of my posts?