Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: advantage of being a minority  (Read 8867 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: advantage of being a minority
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 09:57:09 PM »
It does depend on location, that is correct, but adcomms do not go out of their way to recruit NA students nearly as much as they do to recruit african american students, especially black males. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

inthesun

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 11:25:39 PM »
It does depend on location, that is correct, but adcomms do not go out of their way to recruit NA students nearly as much as they do to recruit african american students, especially black males. 

In many cases, the acceptance rates of NA are much higher than other URMs.  A PBS show discussing Michigan Law and AA cited admissions data that showed 48% of NAs that applied (in 2000, yes a little dated, but I am not going to spend much more time on this) were admitted.  The odds of acceptances for NAs (versus a white person) that year was 25-1 (Mex -Am  17-1).  I wouldn't say that adcomms don't go out of their way to recruit NA students...I am sure that an NA who shows interest in ls is going to be very highly recruited.  However, there are so few NAs that want to go to law school, the numbers compared to blacks males are definitely going to look sparse.  I accept the possibility that NAs are not as recruited as black males, but to say those who have shown an interest at all (like the OP) are not very recruited at all is absurd. 

Edit: Stat, mis-quoted

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 09:14:18 AM »
Any info on Puerto Rican applicants?  Could it please be like 500-to-1?  That would rock my world.  ;)
Yale.Law.School.2010

inthesun

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 10:20:44 AM »
Yes, actually, Puerto Ricans were more recruited than NAs and MAs.  (Damn you!   ;) )
The odds of being accepted at UM (vs. a white person) where 29-1.  The percentage of PRs offered admissions is lumped with all latinos, and the number is 32%.  I really doubt the information has changed all that much.  Michigan is very proud of the diversity in its class.  I know it's not the only school, but the information that was most easily accessible (because of the Supreme Court case) was for Michigan.   

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 10:30:32 AM »
w00t! 

Even though I'm a URM, I'm not 100% in favor of affirmative action as it stands now, but that doesn't mean I won't use it to my advantage (after all, would a legacy really not put down that their dad went to Yale Law anymore than a URM would not check the box?  I don't think so).  I will not only check the box, I'll highlight it, underline it, circle it, and send in a video of myself doing all of that while a large Puerto Rican flag hangs above my head with spanish music blasting in the background.
Yale.Law.School.2010

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 10:49:36 AM »
I actually don't think it is. From what I have heard it seems that the only major advantage would be af am, then followed by hispanic, but they don't always get a huge advantage that much, and then native american, I think that that is just a box on there to check because they want to know how many go to their school.

UHHHH, nooooo. Native Americans have a way better advantage than Latinos and African Americans. Native Americans are largely under-represented in law schools and in the legal field.

To the OP, keep in mind based on prior posts, Vinny is clearly against racial/ethnic headcounts on applications, and isn't too in love with the idea of AA. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Anyways, check that box, not because you want to be part of the 'NA body count', but because that is your heritage and also because it will most certainly contribute to your application.

That was an uncalled for statement. I said that because in other places lots of people have mainly said that Af Am first, then Latino/a, followed by Native Americans.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 11:14:58 AM »
I concur with Vinny (as evident from my previous posts).  NA's are not nearly as highly sought after as African Americans.  That's not to say adcomms aren't looking for NA's.  It's just that they are more concerned with getting african american matriculants more.  If NA's were highly sought after in the way that african americans were, there would be far more NA's at the top law school.  Based on info available from the LSAC, NA student populations at the top schools (even the large ones like Harvard and Georgetown) are in the single digits.
Yale.Law.School.2010

inthesun

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »
I concur with Vinny (as evident from my previous posts).  NA's are not nearly as highly sought after as African Americans.  That's not to say adcomms aren't looking for NA's.  It's just that they are more concerned with getting african american matriculants more.  If NA's were highly sought after in the way that african americans were, there would be far more NA's at the top law school.  Based on info available from the LSAC, NA student populations at the top schools (even the large ones like Harvard and Georgetown) are in the single digits.

The reason there are so few NAs in top law schools is because there are so few NAs applying to law schools.  That is why the NA pops are Harvard and G-town are in the single digits, not because the schools aren't seeking them.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
So you are saying it is best to be NA? All you have to do is join a tribe, which means that you can dictate being one of not? (I really don't knwo, am asking) which is different than being black, everybody can TELL that you are by looking at you. Isn't that why there's the difference?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »
It's very difficult to apply as a native american.  You need to be registered with a trible, and different tribes have different protocol for affirming membership.  Some require that just one of your parents have been a member.  Others require that both are members.  Even some go further back into your geneology before they grant membership.  It's not like being hispanic or black (you don't have to be a card-carrying black or hispanic in order to be black or hispanic).  With some native americans, you almost literally have to be a card-carrying member.
Yale.Law.School.2010