Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Over the top?  (Read 910 times)

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Over the top?
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »
I had this prof that liked me a lot. Naturally I asked him to write me a LOR. It said a lot, including (in different words of course) "his analytical skills are better than mine," "I've only seen this commitment to ethics in one under student in my 12 year career," "he's the first person I've passionately recommended as a great candidate in 12 years", and "I'm sure he'll be a top 3 candidate at your school, be editor of your law review, and graduate magna cum laude in a few years."

Is this a bit much? Will Ad Comms think it is B.S.? I didn't write the letter, so it was the prof's word, not mine. Just seems a bit over the top perhaps?
"Pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay good."

Attending: Michigan.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=loveless

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Over the top?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:20:31 AM »
It was fine until he got here: "I'm sure he'll be a top 3 candidate at your school, be editor of your law review, and graduate magna cum laude in a few years."

That's sounds a bit presumptuous and the adcoms may not take the LOR as seriously because of it.  But what can you do?  Either get someone else to write one, ask him to change it (assuming he actually gave you permission to read this letter), or keep it if you really think it doesn't sound that bad.  Personally, I think everything else is pretty good but at the end it is a little bit over the top as you say.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 09:25:08 AM »
yeah, that last sentence seems a bit much.  of course, if you've got the goods in terms of stellar LSAT score and undergrad transcript, as well as a slew of awards that testify to your overall brilliance, maybe your prof's glowing LOR will be viewed as prescient rather than overly optimistic.

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:37:20 AM »
I don't know if it's over the top, it is a little bit strange, or maybe the word is smart-ass. Maybe it's an attempt at humor that falls flat.

I am assuming he let you read the whole letter... Any chance you could take it to him and say, "This last part embarrasses me, it really puts me on the spot. I don't want them thinking I have to live up to that. Can we take it out?"

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll figure out where to go from here.

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 10:14:17 AM »
I don't know if it's over the top, it is a little bit strange, or maybe the word is smart-ass. Maybe it's an attempt at humor that falls flat.

I am assuming he let you read the whole letter... Any chance you could take it to him and say, "This last part embarrasses me, it really puts me on the spot. I don't want them thinking I have to live up to that. Can we take it out?"

Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly 3.9/166 dude.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 10:23:45 AM »

Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly 3.9/166 dude.

no offense (as i think those are quite respetable numbers), but in light of this information, i don't think it'd be wise to include the last sentence.

good luck!

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 10:24:24 AM »
I had one that went on for 2 pages and concluded with me being in the top 5% of students he has had in his 25 years of teaching at 3 different universities.  I didn't think that was over the top, and I think you'll be fine although that last sentence is odd.  But I think it's poor form to ask someone to change their LOR and it could backfire.

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 10:37:59 AM »
I had one that went on for 2 pages and concluded with me being in the top 5% of students he has had in his 25 years of teaching at 3 different universities.  I didn't think that was over the top, and I think you'll be fine although that last sentence is odd.  But I think it's poor form to ask someone to change their LOR and it could backfire.

verb

Well, he sent it to me and said "send any comments on things you would like changed/corrected, etc." I know the guy really well, he'd be okay with it.

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 11:54:05 AM »

verb

Well, he sent it to me and said "send any comments on things you would like changed/corrected, etc." I know the guy really well, he'd be okay with it.

In that case, yeah cut that last part.  Out of curiosity, what's the deal with the "commitment to ethics" part?

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.