Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southwestern or Chapman?  (Read 1052 times)

ab3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Southwestern or Chapman?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 01:51:04 PM »
No question about reputation v. who cares about what a campus looks like.  Totally agree. BUT, considering law is a three year programme, quality of life is also a factor - for me it is.  Considering neither school is in a higher tier, it helps to be in pleasant surroundings with happy people.  But one can't dispute how many successful SWers there are out there.....especially in entertainment which is something i want to look at after the mandatory first year.

BTW:  is criminal law mandatory in first year ABA schools?  I have noticed Chapman does not have it in their schedule whereas SW does.

Southwestern2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »
No clue. You have to take Crim Pro in Spring for the day program, which I know a lot of people don't have to take at all at other schools. It's very useful though, so it's not that big a deal.

It's kinda interesting that Southwestern makes us take MORE law as 1L's, so we end up being more knowledgable by our first summer than some people at "higher tier" schools. Just food for thought...

MichaelK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 02:37:16 PM »
SW2L, I am not saying that Southwestern or Chapman are inferior Law Schools.  I strongly believe that the USNWR criteria is useless and everyone has their own individual criteria of what makes the right Law School.  However, when I read ab3's post I got the feeling that debate was b/w a more highly regarded school and one with a nice campus.  Maybe I was a bit too over the top, but what I was getting at was that after you graduate employers care more about reputation.  The fact tgat ab3 is very interested in Entertainment Law seems to make Southwestern a no-brainer
Current 1L

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 02:54:23 PM »
Wow.  You and I are / were in the same boat.  until today I have been stuck with Chapman v. Southwestern for the same reasons - nice campus v. LA established name.  What swayed you?  I don't know what to do myself. 

AB3

My decison was made on a few factors. I searched through NALP to see what firms recruit at both schools and SW came on top. SW is 12 miles from where I live so I can commute my first year. If I were to go to Chapman I would need to move out and I cannot afford to take more loans. I know a good number of people attending SW so I don't feel as if I'm going in blind.

Hope you can make a decision that you're satisfied with. If you are interested with Entertainment Law I would definitely choose SW.

Peace
shine on

Southwestern2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 03:34:38 PM »
SW2L, I am not saying that Southwestern or Chapman are inferior Law Schools.  I strongly believe that the USNWR criteria is useless and everyone has their own individual criteria of what makes the right Law School.  However, when I read ab3's post I got the feeling that debate was b/w a more highly regarded school and one with a nice campus.  Maybe I was a bit too over the top, but what I was getting at was that after you graduate employers care more about reputation.  The fact tgat ab3 is very interested in Entertainment Law seems to make Southwestern a no-brainer

My mistake, though your choice to use the word inferior was probably not well thought out. ;)

DodgerLaw

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
Just a word to the wise. I recommend you ignore anything written here by any "SouthwesternL" except "Southwestern2L". The rest are a troll best known as "Garkunkle" whose posts are absurd to be nice. This goes for anyone else who shows up here sounding like a fool. It's probably "Garkunkle".

Other than that, both schools have much to recommend them. I'm going to Chapman -- that's right ya dipstick, Garkunkle -- and am very excited about it. PM me if you like.

Southwestern2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »
Actually, Garkunkle has mellowed out. At least with me... ???

Also, Southwestern3L is on the up-and-up. He's an actual student there. SW4L and 5L are what you could call "legal fictions", I don't know who's portraying them, but they're pretty funny, if a bit played out.

SouthWestern3L

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 01:16:33 PM »
Oh I think I know why Garkunkle has mellowed out.  He said something about someone stealing his IP address or SN or password or something.  So he can't log-on but someone else can.  And the present garkunkle is not the same person as the past garkunkle.????  This sounds weird but..oh..well..its garkunkle.

Yo Dodgerlaw, why do you hate so much?  Why is that you have this grudge against me for nothing.  All I did was defend Southwestern (school that I  goto) when you started slinging mud at it.  Matter of fact, you continued to sling-mud even when the thread was dead ;D  Oh well, that thread is dead.

Also, are you a lawschool student?  If so then what school?  If you haven't decided then why not take a look at Southwestern as a serious propitious, viable career option??   ;D

To180NBeyond

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »
Just a word to the wise. I recommend you ignore anything written here by any "SouthwesternL" except "Southwestern2L". The rest are a troll best known as "Garkunkle" whose posts are absurd to be nice. This goes for anyone else who shows up here sounding like a fool. It's probably "Garkunkle".

Other than that, both schools have much to recommend them. I'm going to Chapman -- that's right ya dipstick, Garkunkle -- and am very excited about it. PM me if you like.

Dear DodgerLaw:

Stop trying to belittle my (old garkunkle's) comments about your Chapman by telling people to ignore me.  You think if people ignore what I say (which is truth) then you will all of a sudden become a T14 lawschool student??  You will always remain as a Chapman attending loser who...hahahahahaha...made fun of Southwestern..hahaahahahahah

Southwestern is a 3rd tier.  But Chapman is like.....shittty compared to even Southwestern.  WHY DID YOU TALK SH*T ABOUT SOUTHWESTERN??  DON'T YOU THINK THAT TALKING SH*T ON SW DAMAGES CHAPMAN TOO?  THEY ARE BOTH 3RD TIER! 

Unless what you wanted to say was, "Soutwestern is a 3rd tier toilet, chapman is worse than SW, therefore, I goto a school that is 4th tier toilet."

hahahahahaahhaah your funny funny funny.  you are a funny funny @ss n*gga.