Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is humor bad?  (Read 527 times)

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is humor bad?
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:40:25 AM »
I'm working on my first draft and so far I've added a bit of humor in it.  I just hope it isn't too much, or else they won't take me seriously.

I will have a rough draft for anyone that wants it, hopefully in a couple of days

consideringcancel

Re: Is humor bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 02:08:20 AM »
I've read that a little self-deprecating humor isn't all that bad...and also, be sure that the funny things you right are actually funny. Could you pm it to me?

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:36:09 AM »
I've read that a little self-deprecating humor isn't all that bad...and also, be sure that the funny things you right are actually funny. Could you pm it to me?
sure, after I'm done.  Right now its a bunch of paragrahps that arent yet one essay  ;)

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:13:54 AM »
if you're going to try your hand at humor, i suggest to let lots of people you DON'T KNOW read your drafts.  if they think the humor is appropriate and well, humorous, go for it.  however, tread carefully.  you never know what can rub adcomms the wrong way when it comes to trying to make a joke.

SkullTatt

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 09:17:24 AM »
I am the kind of person who will laugh my *ss off at anything from a dumb sitcom to, well, a smart sitcom. That said, I have read several PS's where I found the writer's sense of "humor" absolutely, positively not funny. And in one case, politically incorrect enough (jokes about AIDS orphans in Africa, ha ha!) to get his whole application thrown in the trash. Make sure to have a broad range of people read your PS and tell you if it's actually funny.

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 05:06:20 PM »
if you try and put humor in it, make sure it is universal humor (ie -  make sure that even your grandmother would find it funny).  most books on writing PSs will tell you to stay away from humor completely.