Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My smart friends make me feel dumb... and ill-prepared  (Read 3364 times)

ElysiaCerise

• From PSU to UMarlyandSL!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LawPrncess3
    • View Profile
    • Email
My smart friends make me feel dumb... and ill-prepared
« on: June 17, 2004, 06:33:05 PM »
So I've talked to this one guy since LSAT class and DAMN he makes me feel dumb.  He's reading all these books on how to prepare for class and how to take exams.  I'm just spending my summer chillin. Usually I'm the one preparing and reading...

Am I making a big mistake?  Should I be a psycho pre-1L too??

Someone please give me guidance  :-\

~E
Heading to Baltimore in August...

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
Re: My smart friends make me feel dumb... and ill-prepared
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 06:45:27 PM »
chose ur own path...im taking creative writing classes at a jc and visiting taiwan for half a year before school starts...just do what comes natural to u..i mean u got accepted into a graduate school so theres no real reason to be revamping whatever it is that got u there....

if u feel u need to read theres some threads on this board with some books to help u prepare...i know all my friends that r in ls and have already finished said that schools all about scheduling ur readings and refining ur writing style which is something u can not really tweak until u r truly in school...

and also just because he reads more than u doesnt necessarily mean he will do better so why try to be something ur not? just my opinion although i might be wrong but i try not to be  :-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

ElysiaCerise

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:05:03 PM »
I guess my fear is that I won't be there best... yeah, I'm one of those.  I do set high expectations for myself. 

I just know that coming out of undergrad I was worn out and hated the idea of doing anything school related.  I wanted my summer to be fun.  Which, because of my job, it's just been an annoyance.  But I need the money to pay my rent before my loan dispurses. 

I guess I just read all these thread about kids who are studying their ass off this summer, and even one's who are deffering their acceptance to spend more time preparing!! 

I know law school is competitive.  And I'm really just a nice person; I don't like angry confrontation.  I figured by not over preparing and seeming like a "know-it-all" I wouldn't make any enemies.  But really... am I just setting myself up for disappointment... or worse, failure??  :o

~E

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 07:12:32 PM »
Geez, read the thread on preparing for law school.

ElysiaCerise

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 07:27:43 PM »
Geez... be nice!  I was just asking for advice... Sorry to offend you...

~E

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 07:28:25 PM »
All these people that are busting their balls over the summer to prep for law school are out of their minds... one of two things will happen: a) they'll burn out and @#!* up in their first term, or b) they'll do awesome.

I'm not taking the risk of teaching myself stuff that will screw me over later on because I didn't learn it right.

I've heard from several law school deans and professors that law school is about teaching you how to THINK like a lawyer... putting you in a legal mindset. Reading casebooks and prep books on your own over the summer isn't going to help--in my opinion.

Also, I know I have a job either way, no matter how I do in law school, so I'm gonna give it my best and if I do bad, then so be it. For now, I'm working in a firm making money to pay for living expenses, and the rest of the time I'm going to chill and possibly read Law School Confidential (the author went to Penn Law, so I'm hoping it'll provide some insight).

My overall advice: take it easy. enjoy the summer.

I guess my fear is that I won't be there best... yeah, I'm one of those.  I do set high expectations for myself. 

I just know that coming out of undergrad I was worn out and hated the idea of doing anything school related.  I wanted my summer to be fun.  Which, because of my job, it's just been an annoyance.  But I need the money to pay my rent before my loan dispurses. 

I guess I just read all these thread about kids who are studying their ass off this summer, and even one's who are deffering their acceptance to spend more time preparing!! 

I know law school is competitive.  And I'm really just a nice person; I don't like angry confrontation.  I figured by not over preparing and seeming like a "know-it-all" I wouldn't make any enemies.  But really... am I just setting myself up for disappointment... or worse, failure??  :o

~E

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 09:14:36 AM »
I think it's bizzare that people spend so much time studying over the summer for law school.  I never did (or heard of people doing) any sort of studying for classes I'd be taking the next semester in undergrad.  Yeah, I'll read LSC and probably a couple other books in my leisure time, but studying for specific subjects just seems so bizzare.

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 09:41:17 AM »
Find dumber friends?   ;D
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 10:16:30 AM »
If the only problem is that you feel dumb, hang out with some morons for a couple of hours.

Enjoy your free time while you still have some. LS is hard enough without adding stress to it.

Ginatio

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 10:20:51 AM »
lol. yea... hang out with members of your school's basketball team for a few... or better yet, find some business majors to chill with. oh man. one hour with a business major is all anyone needs to feel good about themselves. i think we would save more lives if we had business majors manning suicide hotlines. lol  :-*

If the only problem is that you feel dumb, hang out with some morons for a couple of hours.

Enjoy your free time while you still have some. LS is hard enough without adding stress to it.