Law School Discussion

Academic Probation

Academic Probation
« on: August 09, 2005, 01:20:19 PM »
I'm getting started on apps and was wondering if anyone has any advice about how to handle academic probation?  I was put on probation because of my gpa, which I subsequently raised, so they took me off after a semester.  It's not on my transcript, but obviously it's in my file, and also obviously I need to say "yes" to that question on the app... how to address this in the required explanation??  Ahhhhhh... wish I hadn't had so much fun in ug  :-[  Any advice is much appreciated...

AlanShore

• One day...
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Probation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »
Just be honest and say that you weren't prepared for UG and you were bad with time management etc.  As long as you show upward improvement and you aren't applying to top schools you should be cool

SkullTatt

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:50:04 PM »
Yeah, you probably need to write a (short) addendum regarding grades, and throw in the academic probation thing in there.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:53:20 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily lump grades and the probation into the same addendum, because some apps ask for a seperate addendum if you answer yes to question XX.

I would just adress it in a straight forwards manner. Unless its an extreme case, just let your academic record speak for itself. They can see you f'ed up one semester then pulled it out.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 10:18:40 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily lump grades and the probation into the same addendum, because some apps ask for a seperate addendum if you answer yes to question XX.

I would just adress it in a straight forwards manner. Unless its an extreme case, just let your academic record speak for itself. They can see you f'ed up one semester then pulled it out.

I agree.  I have to write an academic probation explanation as well.  All of the app's where I have to explain it, they ask for seperate addendum (usually to be named according to their instructions).  Just be careful, pay attention and do exactly as they say.  Take time out and read the questions they are asking in the fitness section of the applications.

HTH

~newhopeful