Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone try kaplan?  (Read 1021 times)

oedipamass

• View Profile
Re: anyone try kaplan?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 04:25:45 PM »

for me it's between starting kaplan and taking the october lsat OR taking testmasters and taking the december lsat (which might be too late to send in to law schools -or would it?)

has anyone else taken the dec LSAT and gotten their score reviewed in time for the next fall's admission? is taking testmasters over kaplan worth the risk? ahhh!!!!!

:-[

DodgerLaw

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 04:55:47 PM »
Most, but not all law schools will accept not only the December LSAT, but the Februay LSAT as well. I'm pretty sure that all the schools will take the December LSAT. It will cause you to have your file reviewed later than some others which is a disadvantage.

I took the February LSAT and got pretty much the results that my numbers indicated I would.

If it were me, I would be to take TestMasters and the December LSAT.

oedipamass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 04:59:14 PM »

thanks for the advice!
i guess i'll decide when i see where my score is at around september. did you get in to your school dodgerlaw?

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »
My experience. Kaplan helped me significantly with Games, an area in which I was weak. They did not help me, and may even have hurt me, with Reading Comp and Logical Reasoning, areas in which I was pretty strong.

My experience was similar. My diagnostic was horrible because my performance on the games was abysmal. My performance on LR and RC was pretty strong, but if those were my weaknesses, I don't think Kaplan would've helped me much. The games section is the most coachable one, so that's where I noticed a real improvement. But in general I didn't find their tips on LR and RC to be that helpful.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

DodgerLaw

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 05:18:20 PM »

thanks for the advice!
i guess i'll decide when i see where my score is at around september. did you get in to your school dodgerlaw?

Did I get into my dream school? No. Not even close. My numbers are roughly 2.5ish, low-160ish. Those numbers were not going to get me into Harvard or Berkeley.  :( However, I did get accepted into a number of schools, the highest-ranking one being Denver with $8,000/yr scholarship. I chose another school where I am getting a 60% scholarship. It is a place I am very excited to attend.

PM me if you want more detail as I try to maintain a certain amount of anonymity on the open boards.

06hopeful

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 06:30:18 PM »
Kaplan sucks. You're better of self-studying and then taking a PowerScore or  TestMasters weekend course ($395 & $350, repsectively).  You should be more than fine.  Not sure whether you get the Bibles when you sign up for PowerScore.  If not, I'd invest the 80 bucks and get both of them.  Kaplan is a waste of your money/time....The instructors don't even have to have taken the LSAT!

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 07:46:36 PM »

thanks for the advice!

Did I get into my dream school? No. Not even close. My numbers are roughly 2.5ish, low-160ish. Those numbers were not going to get me into Harvard or Berkeley.  :( However, I did get accepted into a number of schools, the highest-ranking one being Denver with $8,000/yr scholarship. I chose another school where I am getting a 60% scholarship. It is a place I am very excited to attend.

PM me if you want more detail as I try to maintain a certain amount of anonymity on the open boards.

Dodger,
Sounds like we're in similar situations. I didn't get into my first choice and opted for a slightly lower-ranked school offering me a decent merit aid package.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

theunderdog

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 07:54:40 PM »
Here is my best recommendation:

-Study the Powerscore Bibles religiously
After you know the Bibles inside and out...
-Get a private tutor (I could recommend you some) and get tutored in areas of your weakness
-Learn how to diagram from your personal tutor
-Practice every single PrepTest out there, by section

oedipamass

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 08:11:23 PM »

private tutors seem pretty pricey, although if i'm willing to waste $ on a crappy classroom deal, i guess a good teacher is something i would consider.

as your other reccomendations, they all sound great, but i only have until october 1st, unless i just wait for the testmasters and december lsat...

how long do you think it would take to do everything you mentioned? i am already pretty strong on the arguement section (mostly >85% correct cold), average on the reading comp (but i am a english/philosophy major so that shouldn't take too much brainwashing...) but as for the logic games, i might as well fall on the floor in the foetal position. but over all, i think i need a 170+, and i think i would be willing to put off my apps to get it.

with all the risk, effort, and money involved in going to law school... is it really resposible to go anywhere but a top tier -or atleast somewhere that gives you a lot of $$ towards tuition? i dunno, this is something i should research.

theunderdog

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 10:52:19 PM »
In your case, work on Logic Games.  Practice all of them from now until October.  You have time.

Somewhere in between, take several diagnostics.  Then you should be in good shape for October 1st.