Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone try kaplan?  (Read 987 times)

oedipamass

• View Profile
anyone try kaplan?
« on: August 09, 2005, 01:02:46 AM »

I know its not the most popular choice, but its all i have in my area/schedule for classes. at least they're using real LSATs now...

i'd love to get someone's opinion on this before i shell out 1200... and by the way, are powerscore logic bibles really $80 or am i smoking crack?!

thanks.

DodgerLaw

Re: anyone try kaplan?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:05:55 AM »
My experience. Kaplan helped me significantly with Games, an area in which I was weak. They did not help me, and may even have hurt me, with Reading Comp and Logical Reasoning, areas in which I was pretty strong.

oedipamass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:12:44 AM »
i think i just found a testmasters in my area, but that would set my LSAT for december instead of october. i guess that's a good trade off though. i guess some schools would be as irritated with a dec LSAT if it was 165+ instead of some mediocre oct LSAT.

i dunno...

theunderdog

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:27:21 AM »
I would consider self-studying if I were you.

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »
Depends on where you're starting and what you're shooting for.  I started around 160 and didn't find it was worth it.  If you're in the 150s then it might be.

The Bibles are around $40-$50 each, but don't let that scare you -- they're worth their weight in gold.  Those two books alone helped me more than the whole Kaplan course.

John Galt

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:00:35 AM »
daveman speaks truth. Bibles are fantastic.

Kaplan is garbage. I had the opportunity to take Kaplan for a GRE course this summer and it sucked monkey balls.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:06:09 AM »
My Kaplan Diagnostic: 163 (with 100% right on reading comp)

My real LSAT score: 163 with 90% right on reading comp

Yep, I did all the homework, went to all the classes, and it didn't do anything but make me $1200 poorer. 

Forget Kaplan and do the bibles!

dbzkenshinfreak

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 12:52:20 PM »
bibles and save your $1200. use the money on private tutoring if you need be. i would consider driving to the area of the closest TM, PS company to get it. Or get it over the phone.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 01:15:35 PM »
Enrolled in PS course.  Several classmates have taken kaplan lsat prep course.  I'd asked them if they any of them got their money back.   ;)
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 04:21:05 PM »
My Kaplan Diagnostic: 163 (with 100% right on reading comp)

My real LSAT score: 163 with 90% right on reading comp

Yep, I did all the homework, went to all the classes, and it didn't do anything but make me $1200 poorer. 

Forget Kaplan and do the bibles!

My experience was very similar. I do wish I had taken PowerScore or TestMasters instead. But past is past. On with the show.