Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bars in NYC (and not the exam...)  (Read 1952 times)

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
Bars in NYC (and not the exam...)
« on: June 17, 2004, 04:24:49 PM »
So I'm moving to NYC for law school (NYU) after living in the midwest my entire life.  A few important questions come to mind.

1.  What are the good bars/clubs around the Greenwich Village area?

2.  How much is it really going to cost me to drink in NYC (both bars and liquor stores)?

3.  How often do most law students go out?  I used to go out thurs-sat night, plus maybe another night of the week if I wasn't busy.  While I doubt i'll still be pulling that, is it pretty much just fri-sat, or does thurs become the weekend like undergrad?

4.  Any other entertainment-related info would also be welcome!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Bars in NYC (and not the exam...)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:31:42 PM »
depends where you go.  and in the city, you dont necessarily have to stick around where you live to drink.  as long as there is PT and cabs, all of manhattan is your playground.

there are pubs that offer specials - ive seen as little as $3/pitcher of domestic with 10cent wings.  but those are hard to find.

some clubs are going to cost you $10-15 per drink.  others less, others more.  most lounges will cost you around this as well.

if you go to just your average sports bar, your drink prices will range from 4-7 for beer (tap), 7-10 for top shelf, and a bit more for others. 

around the village, there are literally TONS of unique and eclectic bars/lounges/restaurants that you can go to. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Lipper316

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 12:56:21 AM »
Don't just stick to the village. The Upper East Side has some great places. Mad River on 3rd avenue and Bar Harbor(I forget where it exactly is) are two of the best bars I have been to.

M2

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 10:26:44 AM »
Don't just stick to the village. The Upper East Side has some great places. Mad River on 3rd avenue and Bar Harbor(I forget where it exactly is) are two of the best bars I have been to.

NOO!!!!
Mad River is awful!!!
I am not sure when you went, but its has been bad for a while now.

I live like 4 blocks from it and its full of stupid frat guys and equally stupid overdressed bimbos.
Unless you like that sort of thing.... And its always packed, with a line outside.
I will never understand what attracts people to that place. but I am not a fan of overcrowded places...

1. Just explore. You dont really need a plan. There are hundreds of bars.
2. What Dsong said... it isn't cheap thats for sure.
3. I dont know about law students, but everyone pretty much goes out all the time...basically whenever they can afford it. i.e. people are out basically any night you go out.
4. "entertainment"? You whave to check craiglist...or the back of the village voice.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 10:33:32 AM »

anything above 58th st is pretty much a different world.  im a downtown man myself, so i would recommend you staying below the 30s...

head to nolita or lower east for great unknown uncrowded bars and lounges.  there are a ton of virgin places there. 

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:19:01 PM »
the east village has a lot of nice places. the farther east you get from astor place, the cheaper the drinks...

anything on the upper east side is going to filled with aberzombies and the women who want their money. in many cases, the upper west side is the same.

soho and tribeca are just too trendy. expect drinks starting at $10, and they're usually watered down too.

the best drink specials are going to be at neighborhood places filled with locals - cops, firefighters, etc.

anything right around nyu is going to be high priced because of all the rich students in the area. they don't have drinks, but for for cheap food in that 'hood, it's all about dojo's (sorta-asian) and mahmoun's falafel.

Lipper316

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 01:26:21 PM »
If you can, or ever have the chance, try to go to rayos in harlem. Its in a bad area, so I would advise taking a cab. However, this is a hot spot. One of the last notoriously run mafia restaurants in manhattan. You cant get a table there, people own the tables. However, sometimes they open the bar up. Really cheap drinks. And you get the best service.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 01:30:32 PM »
If you can, or ever have the chance, try to go to rayos in harlem. Its in a bad area, so I would advise taking a cab. However, this is a hot spot. One of the last notoriously run mafia restaurants in manhattan. You cant get a table there, people own the tables. However, sometimes they open the bar up. Really cheap drinks. And you get the best service.

its raos.  and you can get a table there if you bring a hot chick and have her show sal some leg.  it worked with my wife...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 02:16:12 PM »
I'm sorta in the same boat as you. I'm coming from the midwest and will be in the NYC area going to Rutgers.  I got to stay with a friend of mine in NYC and go out to some of the spots around NYC. 

One thing about it....its not cheap.  So you may not want to go out too much just for that reason alone. 

But like somebody else posted on here, just explore.  I was up around 51st street and there was plenty to do up there.  You're gonna be down by like 7th Ave and 14th street at NYU.  There's plenty down that way too. 

IT'S NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!

I don't even think new yorkers have seen all that there is to offer in NYC.  Its huge as @#!*!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston