Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Must it Necessarily Highlight Strengths?  (Read 2008 times)

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
Must it Necessarily Highlight Strengths?
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:37:34 PM »
I am thinking about writing a very personal personal statement that will give schools a good idea of the conflicting influences in my early life.  Basically, it is a 2nd generation assimilation story that highlights the role of my parents vs. society as a whole. 

I'm not really sure if I can tie in "why I would be a good law student" to this and would rather give them a glimpse of how I've matured and my outlook on culture, language etc.  Would this be tangential?  Would it not give my strengths enough emphasis?  Any ideas?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Must it Necessarily Highlight Strengths?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 03:17:18 PM »
No, it's common myth that you MUST spell out specific (and dry!) "why I would be a good law school student"  What you should do, however, is thourgh showing the conflicting influences and how you've matured, etc, is highlight certain characteristics that you think may be important to law schools.  Maturity, adapatabilty, a wider cultural outlook than most people have are a few such things that you should touch on.  Unless, of course, a law school asks for a specific topic and requests that you describe why you would be a good law student.

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »
i agree with Jacy, i think its better to subjectively communicate these qualities thru a story of some kind rather then to be in your face about it.  just my thoughts. 

No, it's common myth that you MUST spell out specific (and dry!) "why I would be a good law school student"  What you should do, however, is thourgh showing the conflicting influences and how you've matured, etc, is highlight certain characteristics that you think may be important to law schools.  Maturity, adapatabilty, a wider cultural outlook than most people have are a few such things that you should touch on.  Unless, of course, a law school asks for a specific topic and requests that you describe why you would be a good law student.

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 03:36:57 PM »
Do you guys think it is a good topic for a PS?  I want it to be honest and very personal. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 03:38:15 PM »

im not sure what topic you are really talking about.  i think whatever it is, ideally, it should tell them some things about you that they would not know from the rest of your app/resume, etc.

Do you guys think it is a good topic for a PS?  I want it to be honest and very personal. 

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 03:38:29 PM »
how about "how bad Sabathia killed the Muts last night"

Mets in '04!

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 04:13:21 PM »
how about "how bad Sabathia killed the Muts last night"

Mets in '04!

Yeah, good thing he looks like a complete idiot with his hat all ghettocized.  Hey what do you think about the Hidalgo deal?  Good move by Duquette IMO.  You never know what a change of scenery could do to for a kid. 

Let's Go Mets!

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 04:57:42 PM »
yeah, but he's been struggling the last two months, partly because of a neck injury. just what the mets need, *another* injury-prone player...

at least he's a solid defensive player.