Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BUSL Student Taking Questions (I'm Bored at Work!)  (Read 3413 times)

BUSL00

• View Profile
Re: BUSL Student Taking Questions (I'm Bored at Work!)
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 02:24:13 PM »
Well, I'm still not convinced that there is a "firm sentiment" of BC over BU.  I think that if there is any "BC over BU" sentiment, it is pretty negligable, and that it would come down to individual choices for big Boston firms.  In other words, if a big Boston firm is interviewing two summer associate candidates, one from BU and one from BC, they will most likely take the one that has the best overall package of grades/journal or moot court/impression made at interview, regardless of whether the person is from BC or BU.  Now, what if the candidates are identical?  Maybe, particuarly at some smaller elite firms that are BC heavy in Partners, they might lean toward the BC candidate.  But again, I think those distinctions are so small, you might as well go to the place you have the best feeling about.  But let's agree to disagree on this.   :)

That said, I respect the fact that you decided on the school you felt most comfortable at.  You want to feel as comfortable as possible, because feeling comfortable probably certainly couldn't hurt your performance, and may help it.  I definitely encourage people to visit the schools.  Some like the feel of BC better, some like the feel of BU better. 

Let's see, what would I do differently?  Most importantly, I think you should not be concerned if you feel really stressed and confused for the first couple of months.  EVERYBODY feels the same way.  You are basically learning a new language, and a new way of thinking, and they teach by throwing you right into it.  Just try to keep calm, do all of the assigned reading, and just do the best you can if/when you are called on.  It takes a few months before you will really start "getting" it.  Until then, just go through the motions, do the work, and relax as much as you can.

I think the one thing I might have done differently is prepared myself more for the exam format before the first set of exams.  In the weeks leading up to your first set of exams, it would definitely be worth it to take practice exams in a controlled, timed setting, just basically to get used to writing 3 hour law exams.  Look for your professors' old exams, if he/she publishes them, and look at some practice essay questions in study aids such as Examples & Explanations, and Gilberts/Emmanuels.  Those are good becuase they also show sample essay exam answers, which you can compare with your answers.  If you do a bunch of practice exams, you probably will feel less freaked out during the first couple of real exams you take.  Law school essay exam writing is a skill, and the more you practice beforehand, the more comfortable you will feel about writing one when it really counts.  Since you don't do any writing in your classes (other than your legal writing seminar), you have to take the initiative to practice on your own.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005, 02:31:11 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, it was really just the "feel" of the school that I think most of us that made the decision were affected by. There were sone great discussions on here about why most of us chose BC. BC actually overenrolled this year and didnt hit their waitlists at all.

two quick questions:
How many students get a journal spot? I figure now that BU is so much smaller than it used to be that a lot of students get a spot. One of the reasons I wanted to go to a small school like BC/BU.
Did you participate in the writting competition? How was that?
Finally, where do you study. I checked out the library at BU and it was god-awful.

BUSL00

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 02:48:40 PM »
I think both schools have been overenrolling.  Our entering class last year was about 15 or so above they target number because so many people accepted admission.  I think something similar may have happenned at BU again this year too.  Anyway...

There are 6 journals at BU (Law Review, Public Policy, International, Science & Tech., Law & Medicine, and Banking).  Each journal takes about 30 students.  Some journals pick members based on a combination of first year grades and writing competition, and some journals select purely on writing competition.  Thus, about 180 students get onto some kind of journal each year.  We had a total class of about 290.  Word on the street is that almost all 1L's did the writing competition this year, so there definitely were some people who tried but didn't get on any journal. 

I did participate in the competition, and I did get on a journal (I probably shouldn't say which one, as I am trying to keep a bit of anonymity here). It was annoying in the sense that they hand out the assignment right after the end of our last final exam, and we had a week to do it and mail it in.  We had to write a 10 page legal memo, complete a citation assignment (fixing up 30 or so very garbled legal citations), and edit one very badly written page of a law review article.  I spent a good chunk of the week working on it, but once it was done I recovered quickly.  It's not so bad really, just another rite of passage that is 1L.

I studied mostly at home, though I did spend some time at the library, such as when I had time between classes.  I actually don't think the library is so awful, but it is kind of small and fills up quickly.  Especially around exams I didn't want to be surrounded with other stressed out law students.  Some people liked the comeradarie though...I guess it's up to the individual.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 02:52:01 PM »
I was thinking of using an undergrad library during exams. I dont think I want ot be around other students when I am studying.

One more question: We talk a lot on these posts about the best you can do out of a law school. But because only 25% can make top of the class, what do the middle of the class usually do for employment? Is big law out of the question and what are the salary ranges for mid or small sized firms? Are mid or small sized law firms where most of the middle of the class end up? How much can we expect to make if we are around the middle?

BUSL00

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 03:02:10 PM »
Yah, there was something about the group mentality during exams that freaked me out a bit.  I did a few small study sessions with friends here and there, but other than that I basically just wanted to go off on my own and do what I had to do.  Also, try to have faith in your own particular study method.  Everyone studies differently, and don't feel too much pressure to study a certain way just because some other 1L's you know are studying that particular way.  What works for you may not work for them, and vice-versa.

Yah, middle (and lower end) of class generally end up in small to mid-sized firms.  I'm not going to say that Biglaw is out of the question, but it probably isn't likely coming straight out of school, especially in the major cities.  Salary range for small to mid-size firms depends on geographical location, of course.  In the Boston/New York area, I would still think that you should be able to pull in between 70 and 100K at an entry level.  Of course, some people also choose public interest or government.  Starting salaries there may be in the 40s.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2005, 03:06:50 PM »

Thanks. I'll stop asking questions now. haha.

BUSL00

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 03:08:45 PM »
You're welcome. :-)

Any other takers??

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »
First, thanks for all the great info!  I'll be attending BU in the fall, and had a couple quick questions for you. Do you think it's necessary to prepare (i.e. take a course) before starting law school?  Do those that take a course have much of an advantage?  Also, what does your faculty advisor do?  I received the advisor form in the mail a little while ago.  Just wondering what their role is. 

And how is Packards Corner to live at?  My apartment is going to be in that area.  Thanks!

BUSL00

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 03:37:39 PM »
Hi!  Welcome (in advance) to BUSL!

As far as taking some prep. course goes, I didn't do it, and my personal opinion is that a prep. course before starting school would be a big waste of time and money.  I think the best thing you can do right now is relax and have fun. You will have more than enough work to do once school starts.  I did buy Law School Confidential (the book) and read some of it before school started last year.  I guess that was a bit helpful, and I kind of took their advice about how to brief cases.  I think a lot of other people did as well.  But, other than that, don't worry too much until you get here. 

I have to say, the faculty advisor doesn't do much.  Each faculty advisor has about 8 or so student advisees. We met with ours once at school, and then he took us out to dinner once, but that was it.  He was nice and all, and I'm sure if I had ever had a big problem during the year, I could have gone to him.  But, as it turned out, I never really felt the need to talk to him.  You will also be assigned a student 2L advisor though when you get here.  The 2L advisor really is the more important one, I think. Usually, they give you someone who was in the same Section you will be in, so they will have had at least some of the same professors as you will have.  So, they can give you advice about the professors, and give you outlines.  IF they didn't have the same professors, they can find other 2L's who did have them.  Also, they are just in general a good source for your questions throughout the year.  My 2L advisor was great.

Packard's corner is in the heart of the Allston/Brigton Area.  It's a student ghetto basically.  I guess how you will like it depends on who you are.  It's not far from school, right on the T line, you'll be near a lot of other BUSL students, there are a bunch of cheap restaurants/bars, etc.  It's a safe neighborhood, but I suppose it can get a bit loud. 

Any other questions?

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 03:59:24 PM »
Thanks. 

I have a question about the classroom facilities.  I was able to look in one or two classrooms when I visited, but I'm not sure if they were indications of how the rest would be.  Are they comfortable? Do they have outlets for plugging in notebook adaptors?  Also, how is the wireless network in the building?  Is it pretty reliable?   

Have you checked out the new gym facility?  I heard it is pretty much brand new and open to law students?  Just wondering how nice it really is.

I also have one more general question about Boston...how bad is the weather??  I've heard the winters can get pretty awful, but how cold does it really get?  And how many months of decent weather do we have after school starts?  Just trying to figure out when I need to break out the thermal underwear :P