Law School Discussion

PS Tips & Advice

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PS Tips & Advice
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 08:02:26 AM »
But why? Can you please explain to me why? I need to know why so I am not continually making this mistake.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 08:14:02 AM »
Vinny, I think you are correct that it is "was" because of the prepositional phrase.  It sounds awkward either way but I think was is correct.  Majority rule doesn't apply in grammar from my experience!

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 08:21:32 AM »
in formal writing, you should use "was" since neither is a singular pronoun.  however, informally, using "were" is also accepted.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 08:22:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice :)

SkullTatt

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
I would vote for "Neither was."

SkullTatt

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 05:21:18 PM »
Today's Tips-'N'-Advice:

(1) READ YOUR PS OUT LOUD. (I never do this, but people say it is helpful.)

(2) LET YOUR WRITING SIT FOR A DAY OR TWO THEN COME BACK TO IT. READ THROUGH IT. SEE WHAT JUMPS OUT AT YOU, WHAT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND, ETC. (I do do this. Very helpful.)

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 06:23:24 PM »
bonkers, your PS sounds like it's very good. would you mind if i read it? if you mind, that's perfectly fine- i just want to see what all the hype is about!  :)

allyreese

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 06:31:38 PM »
;) hey bonkers, don't forget about me

also - hippie, i emailed you a ps and haven't really seen ya round much so not sure if you got it... let me know if i need to send it again, or if you don't want to read it because you hate me or something  :-\

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 06:44:49 PM »
Ok, need an opinion.

Which is correct?

Neither of my parents were/was. I say was because of my parents is a prepositional phrase, but a lot of people that have reviewed my PS say that it should be were. It is Neither was if you took out prep phrase, since they don't count in subject/verb agreement.
Please answer this question, even though it seems stupid.

An advice I was given a few years ago by a writing coach was to avoid writing anything that doesn't sound right. In other words, even if you get the correct "was/were", it may still sound strange. So my advice is that rewrite the sentence and save yourself the trouble.

One More

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2005, 06:55:05 PM »
tizzzag  ;D