Law School Discussion

PS Tips & Advice

SkullTatt

PS Tips & Advice
« on: August 07, 2005, 08:03:08 PM »
This thread is for tips and advice people want to share about writing the PS.

I came across an excellent tip today. After reading a bunch of PS's on here, one issue keeps coming up -- people being too general and not giving enough specific details, and/or not using the PS to show who THEY, specifically, are. From Peterson's Perfect Personal Statements:

Put your essay to the ultimate test, by asking yourself: Is this essay one that only I could honestly write?

Is it possible that other applicants could have honestly said essentially the same things that you have said in your essay? Take a yellow highlighter or other pen and mark every sentence of your essay that another applicant might honestly have written. Do you see a lot of yellow? If so, you either need to dig deeper (stay with the same theme but bring it down to a more personal level) or go back to the drawing board and find a different theme or topic -- one that you know only you will be writing about.

Re: PS Tips & Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 08:14:38 PM »
baff

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 10:55:17 PM »
Listen to bonkers on this one...I read his PS, and I have to say it was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 07:04:34 AM »
I agree totally with what Bonkers said.  Also, I'd say that it is sometimes really interesting and a strong statement to tell one single story in your life that shows a good deal of who you are.  For example if you were really into some regional event (like the Texas Rodeo) and it was meaningful in shaping your life, then tell about that as it can show a great deal of who you are without it having to be some amazing feat.  If why you want to do law school is not fitting into the PS, then write it as an addendum essay that is specific to each school (more like a statement of purpose for grad school essays... if you need more on that idea, let me know).  Many sample essays I saw did not mention law school at all and were apparently effective at getting their writers into great schools. 

SkullTatt

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 07:53:01 AM »
Listen to bonkers on this one...I read his PS, and I have to say it was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, you actually liked mine? I think you are the first person to read the new one, maybe it is better than the old one that everyone hates.

lawgirl79

• The real man of the house....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 09:24:40 AM »
Bonkers & Hippie -

I PM'ed my PS over to you two - could you let me know if you received it?

SkullTatt

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »
I will read it if it is about you and talks about specific experiences you've had. I can't read any more of those that consist of vague, disconnected generalities and summary statements that could apply to anyone. If I do, I swear I'll gag.

SkullTatt

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 07:41:22 PM »
That was not personally directed at you, since I don't know what category you are in yet.

allyreese

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 06:20:05 AM »
awww bonkers i want to read your new one too, hippie is making me jealous  ;)

SkullTatt

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 07:34:55 AM »
Cool, I just need to type in a couple changes but I will send it...