Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Internet: DSL/ Cable/ Wireless/ Dial up?  (Read 489 times)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Internet: DSL/ Cable/ Wireless/ Dial up?
« on: August 07, 2005, 05:11:37 PM »
Wondering what everyone is doing.  I have been hijacking the neighbor's high speed wireless, and not up to date on current trends.  I like the wireless, but it can be very finicky (maybe b/c it is not mine?)  Every once in awile I won't get any service for about 10-15 mins.  Which is no big deal now, but my time will be much more valueable as a 1L.

So who is your provider?  How much are you paying?  Are you satisfied?  I am leaning towards DSL.

Thanks.

kernelgt

Re: Internet: DSL/ Cable/ Wireless/ Dial up?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 02:51:35 AM »
First, don't do dial up.  Really, there's no point to it if you have DSL or Cable available, even at a premium price.  As a law student, you'll likely spend some time researching online, either at the library or from the convenience of your home, and the costs of DSL or Cable will be well-worth the added convenience.  Don't believe the commercials on TV.  Dial-up is still dial up...there's only so much bandwidth allocated to each commercial, analog phone line, and nothing net-zero or any other company does will change that.

So, really, it all comes down to what packages and availability you get with Cable or DSL.  "Wireless" is just a function of the router that you'll have to buy (router with wireless capability like Linksys WRT54GS or similar) to use in conjunction with your DSL or Cable service (which, by the way, can be encrypted so that no one else can use it, a feature that your neighbor obviously overlooked). 

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:57:06 AM »
Thanks that was very informative!

EvidenceWhore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 12:10:41 PM »
I have to agree. I had dial up before I started law school and cable after I started law school. I do a lot of research at home for law school and I think I would have thrown the computer across the room if I had to deal with dial up. It was well worth the price. If you look around a bit, a lot of times you can get a good deal for cable television plus cable internet. You can get a good package for a lot of good cable channels or just get the basic cable channels and still recieve a good price on internet.

First, don't do dial up.  Really, there's no point to it if you have DSL or Cable available, even at a premium price.  As a law student, you'll likely spend some time researching online, either at the library or from the convenience of your home, and the costs of DSL or Cable will be well-worth the added convenience.  Don't believe the commercials on TV.  Dial-up is still dial up...there's only so much bandwidth allocated to each commercial, analog phone line, and nothing net-zero or any other company does will change that.

So, really, it all comes down to what packages and availability you get with Cable or DSL.  "Wireless" is just a function of the router that you'll have to buy (router with wireless capability like Linksys WRT54GS or similar) to use in conjunction with your DSL or Cable service (which, by the way, can be encrypted so that no one else can use it, a feature that your neighbor obviously overlooked). 

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:51:38 PM »
Wireless can also exist as an independent form of connectivity separate from DSL or cable.  As an example, my apartment complex has a series of wireless routers set up that allow the tenants access for a monthly rate.  It's possible that something similar is available to you, either as a service of your landlord or as a municipal service in your area.  Small-scale wireless tends to be a little cheaper than DSL or cable, since there's less infrastructure for the provider.  It also removes any issues involved in running cable, configuring a router, etc.  The disadvantage is that your connection is, by definition, shared with everyone else who is utilizing that access point.  This can lead to worse performance.  Cable suffers from a similar issue, though it's usually not as severe.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

g825

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »
I'm going with comcast b.c they are offering a deal of $52.95 a month for cable tv and internet. It's for 6 months and includes basic cable with a few premium channels. Afte that it goes to I think around $80 a month. Not sure how much cheaper other companies are, but not a bad deal since I'm splitting with my roomie.