Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.5/169 Where to do Early Decision??  (Read 1079 times)

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
3.5/169 Where to do Early Decision??
« on: August 07, 2005, 02:57:28 PM »
I have no work experience, took pretty easy classes, etc. what do you guys think is my best bet for early decision with a 3.5/169?

Current thoughts are between: Georgetown, Michigan, Cornell

Thanks
ACCEPTED: Georgetown (ED)

BigSplitDC

Re: 3.5/169 Where to do Early Decision??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 03:06:14 PM »
I vote Michigan...  personal preference and you're above their LSAT median. 

Though if you don't have a preference perhaps you could just do them all early decision and see which one accepts you first. (Don't choose cornell though - Ithaca for 3 years would be unbearable)  Perhaps add Columbia into the mix... if you apply to all of them ED.

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »
I vote Michigan...  personal preference and you're above their LSAT median. 

Though if you don't have a preference perhaps you could just do them all early decision and see which one accepts you first. (Don't choose cornell though - Ithaca for 3 years would be unbearable)  Perhaps add Columbia into the mix... if you apply to all of them ED.

You are only allowed to apply to one school early decision, as it is binding if you are accepted

Michigan and GULC are probably tied in my mind... but i hear michigan is bigger on soft factors (which i am lacking)  :(

BigSplitDC

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 03:17:31 PM »
Right, I understand - but if you withdraw all of your ED applications immediately after you get the first acceptance, it seems like it would work.

Browse Lawschoolnumbers - some people have done this before.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 03:21:32 PM »
I would not recommend you apply ED anywhere to be honest.  With stats like yours, you have a wide range of possibilities, and it would be a waste to apply ED somewhere unless you really wanted to go there.  From the fact that you're asking for suggestions as to where you should apply ED, it's obvious you're not overwhelmingly in favor of a single school.  That being said, I would definitely recommend applying EA to Georgetown, Penn, NYU, and Duke. You have a shot at each school (NYU would be the most difficult of those to get into, and you'd probably be deferred to regular decision).  Give yourself the widest possible choice, and you'll buy yourself more time to figure out where you want to go.  A lot can change over the course of a semester, and so if you apply to one school ED, you may realize you prefer another school later on, but are now obligated to that first school.  Good luck though.  Your numbers are solid.
Yale.Law.School.2010

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
I would not recommend you apply ED anywhere to be honest.  With stats like yours, you have a wide range of possibilities, and it would be a waste to apply ED somewhere unless you really wanted to go there.  From the fact that you're asking for suggestions as to where you should apply ED, it's obvious you're not overwhelmingly in favor of a single school.  That being said, I would definitely recommend applying EA to Georgetown, Penn, NYU, and Duke. You have a shot at each school (NYU would be the most difficult of those to get into, and you'd probably be deferred to regular decision).  Give yourself the widest possible choice, and you'll buy yourself more time to figure out where you want to go.  A lot can change over the course of a semester, and so if you apply to one school ED, you may realize you prefer another school later on, but are now obligated to that first school.  Good luck though.  Your numbers are solid.

Thanks for the confidence boost and advice  :)

And about the previously mentioned applying early decision to more than one school... most of the school's sites explicity state that you can only do it at one school, i do not see how people risk doing it at multiple schools, it is a binding contract  ???

BigSplitDC

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 03:33:12 PM »
Well, perhaps it isn't allowed... but I'm sure it's done at times.

*I won't recommend that as a course of action anymore - As for me, I'd like some options so I won't be doing ED anywhere.

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 03:35:30 PM »
Well, perhaps it isn't allowed... but I'm sure it's done at times.

*I won't recommend that as a course of action anymore - As for me, I'd like some options so I won't be doing ED anywhere.

Unless money is going to be an issue, I wouldn't see the harm in trying it for your #1 choice or a reach... it can definitely give you an edge... but if you are undecided as to where you want to end up then it is definitely not the best option

Myself, I feel i need the edge since my app will be quite lacking

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 03:54:08 PM »
I'm trying to decide the same thing and lately I've been leaning towards Michigan (my numbers are 3.81/167). It should be noted that Cornell does NOT have an early decision option, so your basically deciding between gtown and michigan.. I started a thread about this earlier!

The general consensus (sp?) on the thread was that Mich was the better school. But don't go by that. I did research and realized there were aspects about Michigan that I loved, more so than Gtown. However, I'm still not quite certain about this whole ED thing.. (it could affect scholarships).

Lucky77,

You've got a great shot at other top schools besides Michigan (I would easily place a bet that you will be accepted to Michigan).  I think you should look at Columbia, NYU, and even Stanford.  Harvard will be difficult, but still possible (are you a URM?  If so, apply to every top six school and I'm sure you'll get accetped everywhere).  Yale, unless you are a URM, is not likely, but what the hell, apply anywhere.  Don't limit yourself, unless you really want to go to Michigan or Georgetown (as for which of those two is "better", I'm partial to Georgetown, but since I'm interested in becoming a law professor, and thus would want to increase my chances of a SCOTUS clerkship, I'd probably go to Michigan). 
Yale.Law.School.2010

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 05:58:26 PM »
I'm trying to decide the same thing and lately I've been leaning towards Michigan (my numbers are 3.81/167). It should be noted that Cornell does NOT have an early decision option, so your basically deciding between gtown and michigan.. I started a thread about this earlier!

The general consensus (sp?) on the thread was that Mich was the better school. But don't go by that. I did research and realized there were aspects about Michigan that I loved, more so than Gtown. However, I'm still not quite certain about this whole ED thing.. (it could affect scholarships).

good bump, just read through your entire thread.. now i am even more confused!! i was leaning toward GULC but now it seems like Michigan seems to have much more prestige in everyone's minds... i just think the 'summer start' is pretty strenuous coming straight from undergrad and michigan seems much less predictable with their waitlisting etc.