Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone having second thoughts?  (Read 2365 times)

CPSinvestigator

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Put the F-ing Midget in the basket!!!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone having second thoughts?
« on: August 07, 2005, 02:49:29 AM »
i was thrilled to be leaving for LS until a few days ago. im getting extremely nervous. i left a job that was very well paying and rewarding. the job, however, didnt have much room for advancement. i have always wanted to go to LS, but this whole transition from work to student is very difficult. is anyone else feeling this way? good luck to you all.

Dunkelzimmer

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dunke1zimmer
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone having second thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 03:30:56 AM »
I think no matter how confident one is, as long as you still have a good balance between the shadow of your own ego and sheer belief, at the end of the day you will candidly face your own strengths and weeknesses and assess them in light of what's to come.  But what's to come is not known, and I'd like to think that that would make most people nervous.

Lately, I've been wondering alot at how able I really will be competing with others.  But I don't like where my life will be otherwise, and from the info that I have gathered about law school it sounds like my cup of tea.

Laisse le bon temps rouler?  Ou peut-etre...   
Going from a Slug... to an Aggie.  Davis '08

"MAN PROPOSES, AND GOD DISPOSES." -TOLSTOY

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 05:29:56 AM »
I have all sorts of crazy thoughts running through my head. It's just strange not to have a job. I was a reporter -- it feels strange saying was.
I feel as if I lost my sense of idenity.

At the same time I'm literally terrified about school.
I keep thinking somehow the school will realize that I am an imposter, that they let the wrong DB in, or that they actually didn't let DB in at all.

I'm sure in a month or two I'll get over this. I just have trouble with change.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »
I am happy to find out that I am not the only one with second thoughts. It makes me feel less mental, and a lot more normal.

I am extremely nervous about moving to a new state and starting law school. I worry that I will not fit in, or that I will not thrive in the Socratic/competitive nature of the classes. I also feel extremely weird not having a job, but once I get settled I will most likely find a part time job so that I do not have to take out crazy loans for the rest of the semesters.

In the end though, I know my anxiety has to take a back seat to allow me to achieve my dreams. If I do not do this, I will always regret it and wonder what if. So in light of that, I am going to move along and test the waters. Good luck to you all.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 11:11:28 AM »
Yeah, I have-sort of.

I, like most, have all sorts of ideas going through my head. Part of me actually wanted to sit out another year or so and possibly take the LSAT again to go to a school that has more of a focus in the area I'd like to practice...but I have been waiting for this moment since I first started college and now that it is 2 weeks away, I would be insane to stop now. I'm just really eager to start my career, and not being accepted last year, made me wait one long greivous year, and I don't really want to wait anymore!

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 11:35:27 AM »
I just got my last real paycheck for a good long time. That bummed me out. But I am trying to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. And I also think law school will be interesting, despite what so many have said on this board. (This is based on a bunch of law classes I have attended both at my school and others.)

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 09:16:32 PM »
I wasn't until I read this thread.  *&^%!  Get me out of here!

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 02:53:08 PM »
i'm not exactly having second thoughts - everything is moving full steam ahead - but i'm having pretty much all of the doubts everyone else has listed. i had a great job (but no real room for advancement) and i can't get used to thinking that i don't work there anymore, am really never going back. i thought about waiting yet another year and retaking the lsat. i'm scared to death to up and move my whole life to minneapolis especially when i know i want to come back to the bay area. i think in some ways though all of these other worries have prevented me from worrying about school itself which is probably a good thing ;)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 06:16:34 PM »
Not really. But I am not leaving a job like others here.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

ButteredToast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 07:14:37 PM »
i was thrilled to be leaving for LS until a few days ago. im getting extremely nervous. i left a job that was very well paying and rewarding. the job, however, didnt have much room for advancement. i have always wanted to go to LS, but this whole transition from work to student is very difficult.

Heck yes, you just described my same emotional rollercoaster... I just left my job and the reality of it set in today (no more comfortable, dual income living; fear of not doing well in law school and never being able to pay off my student loan debt, etc.).

I think once school actually starts, this will fade (let's hope).