Law School Discussion

Academic Probation/ Suspension-- HELP

jhare

• AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Academic Probation/ Suspension-- HELP
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »
For most of the apps I've seen you just need to check the 'yes' box and attach an explanation. NYU, however, wants a dean to send a letter explaining the situation. This is not the same as the dean's certificate, which, as I undertsand it, happens after you are in.

06hopeful

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 04:13:59 PM »
The Dean's ceritification is part of the application that many schools require.  It basically tells law schools that you are in in good standing academically and have no academic misconduct (eg. cheating, plagiarism) on your undergraduate file. I didn't know whether there would be a any problems getting one if I've been suspended for academic reasons. 

I'm hoping an upward trend in grades, a high LSAT, work experience and addenda will downplay the poor judgement when i was young and immature about school. Eek.

tame

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 05:24:20 PM »
The Dean's ceritification is part of the application that many schools require. It basically tells law schools that you are in in good standing academically and have no academic misconduct (eg. cheating, plagiarism) on your undergraduate file. I didn't know whether there would be a any problems getting one if I've been suspended for academic reasons.

I'm hoping an upward trend in grades, a high LSAT, work experience and addenda will downplay the poor judgement when i was young and immature about school. Eek.

It will.  I was in the exact same situation this time last year and I was a basket case.  I was put on probation for academic reasons and then suspended during undergrad (my senior year, no less), and I was convinced that I was going to get blackballed everywhere.  I got into my first-choice school though, along with a lot of the others I applied to.  It definitely won't keep you from getting a dean's cert, although the dean will mention that you were on probation/suspended -- I found it helpful to meet with the person writing the cert beforehand to make sure they understood the circumstances of my suspension.  Don't know if that made any difference or not, since I never actually saw the cert, but it made me feel better.

Other advice: in your addendum, keep it concise and matter of fact, don't whine or make excuses, and make it clear that what happened is wholly in the past.  On your resume, highlight stuff like work experience and promotions that will show how mature and functional you now are.  And I completely agree with leftyguns: getting a kickass LSAT is absolutely the best thing you can do for yourself.  Study like crazy.  Seriously.  A really good LSAT can make the adcomms forget about almost everything else.