Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Practicing Law Overseas  (Read 1250 times)

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Practicing Law Overseas
« on: August 06, 2005, 02:32:19 AM »
I haven't found much discussion on this topic...

Has anybody considered going to another country after law school? Not just England/France, etc, but countries like Pakistan, India or Indonesia? What would it take to become a practicing lawyer in a country such as that? Should I even waste my money by going to a law school here in the US?

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing Law Overseas
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 02:43:29 AM »
Interesting question.  I know that some schools here offer streamlined coursework for overseas attorneys wanting to practice here, so I am confident that at least a few other countries would have similar programs in place.

LegalLassie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 03:05:44 AM »

Has anybody considered going to another country after law school? Not just England/France, etc, but countries like Pakistan, India or Indonesia? What would it take to become a practicing lawyer in a country such as that? Should I even waste my money by going to a law school here in the US?

Why the frick would you want to practice law in Pakistan?  Have you ever been there? 

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »

Why the frick would you want to practice law in Pakistan?  Have you ever been there? 

Well, I was born there, moved to the US when I was 6.

Why wouldn't I want to go there? I've been there many times, and the people and country are beautiful. The image given of Pakistan via our media here is overblown and complete BS, if that's where you're going.

LegalLassie

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 12:19:13 AM »

Well, I was born there, moved to the US when I was 6.

Why wouldn't I want to go there? I've been there many times, and the people and country are beautiful. The image given of Pakistan via our media here is overblown and complete BS, if that's where you're going.

not at all.  My grandparents and all my paternal relatives live there and, if you were a white guy I'd say it may not be the best idea...  But if you're pakistani - then it is all good.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 12:28:47 AM »

I'm thinking about Saudi Arabia, the thought of ruling over women is nice. Plus If I win they cut the defendants fingers off.

3 words for you - No Female Drivers

LegalLassie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 12:31:08 AM »

Spoken by someone who has obviously never experienced driving in a middle eastern country...

that is all.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 01:14:46 AM »

Spoken by someone who has obviously never experienced driving in a middle eastern country...

that is all.

No I haven't. But I saw a show about women in Saudi Arabia on Discovery Times channel that said they could not drive.

This isn't the case?

LegalLassie

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 02:15:10 AM »

that is all.

No I haven't. But I saw a show about women in Saudi Arabia on Discovery Times channel that said they could not drive.

This isn't the case?

Probably is, but I meant that you must not have seen the crazyass way that middle eastern men drive.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 02:16:46 AM »
lol  ;D

I was just joking anyway

I have seen Iraqi guys drifting up and down the main drag in white cars, it was a pretty cool video