Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oregon Law Schools  (Read 2142 times)

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Oregon Law Schools
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 06:53:20 AM »
The best school for big firms in Portland is Michigan.  For some reason a lot of Michigan students end up at the big Portland firms every year.

As far as run-of-the-mill law jobs, there really aren't many in Portland or really anywhere in the PNW.  The market there is terrible.  Your best bet is to go to the University of Washington, but even there only the top 30% or so make decent money when they graduate.

None of the Oregon schools are very good, and in-state tuition at the U of O is expensive.  As far as reputation goes, it probably is something like L&C>>UofO>>>>>Willamette.

I agree that the market is very tight, that t14's do grab the available jobs, and that U-Dub is easily the best school in the region.

That said, the West is a different cat. It's not a legal hot spot, and there aren't a great deal of firms, but at the same time, there are a lot more options to finding a job that pays. There are a good deal of boutique firms (mostly PI, DUI, and general practice type stuff, but also environmental), and government jobs. The PNW states also tend to be highly insular.

I think UO is a great deal, tuition wise. In-state is a more than a lot of state schools, but out-of-state tuition isn't as much either. But both are decent, as far as law school goes. And though LC may enjoy a slightly better reputation and placement in Portland, it's debatable if the placement is that much better, and I think the further away from Portland you get, whether you're still in Oregon or out, UO probably has a better rep, if just because of its affiliation with the university.

I think it comes down to what school is a better fit and feel for you. Both are clearly ahead of Willamette, however.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »
Interesting thread... I got some stuff from L&C and I thought it looked amazing-- in a park?  Seriously?  Plus I'm really interested in Animal Law so I think it might be a perfect fit.  What are the Big Law prospects at a school like L&C?  I think I might want to work Big Law for at least a few years after Law School...
_______
.|E|R|S.

ElMismoPandejo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »
LegalLassie, with your numbers you can do a lot better than L&C.  If you don't get into a T14 I think a T1 school will give you a worthwhile scholarship.  No need to consider a poor-placing school in a tiny market overpopulated with overeducated people and with an even worse legal market than most other places.

If you're top 10% at L&C, you probably have a shot at Portland firms that pay a good salary (75K+).  You would need a job that pays that much unless you have a full ride.  So that's highly unlikely.

It's great that L&C is in a forest and will teach you "Animal Law" (so you can sue dogs and cats?)...that's really not going to help you make a living however.

There are so many people who come on here with questions like:  "I want to attend West Cornhole Law School, and even though it's ranked #82 and costs $40,000/year, it has a very pretty building and is ranked #1 in International Space Law, and #2 in Fluffy Kitten Law.  So will I be able to get biglaw in Florida and/or work overseas if I attend this school?"

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
If you're top 10% at L&C, you probably have a shot at Portland firms that pay a good salary (75K+).  You would need a job that pays that much unless you have a full ride.  So that's highly unlikely.

It's great that L&C is in a forest and will teach you "Animal Law" (so you can sue dogs and cats?)...that's really not going to help you make a living however.

There are so many people who come on here with questions like:  "I want to attend West Cornhole Law School, and even though it's ranked #82 and costs $40,000/year, it has a very pretty building and is ranked #1 in International Space Law, and #2 in Fluffy Kitten Law.  So will I be able to get biglaw in Florida and/or work overseas if I attend this school?"

But wouldn't $75,000 in Portland (a smaller city) be comparable to $100,000 in an expensive city like New York or DC?
_______
.|E|R|S.

Naliamegod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »
As someone who lived in the Portland area, its not as cheap as some people make it sound.  Its not San Francisco or New York city but the its still more expensive then plenty of Midwest or Southern area major cities.  Its probably going to go up since the entire region (especially the areas across the river) are being flooded with new people moving in.

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 12:40:55 PM »
Does anyone have any feedback on University of Oregon in Eugene or Lewis & Clark in Portland?  I am mostly applying to schools in my home state, but I can't say the idea of selling my place here and using the equity to buy a mini-mansion in Eugene, OR isn't vastly appealing  ;)

And, just to circumvent any replies about them not being good schools if I plan to go into BigLaw...I don't plan to go into BigLaw :)

Both U Oregon and Lewis and Clark are equally good, with the former more devoted to public interest and envirnonmental law (think Eugene) and LC more corporate and business oriented (think Portland). As for the legal scene, salaries are low in Oregon, and this is likely to continue since more and more folks are moving to Oregon from CA, only increasing the competition for good jobs.

More folks moving to Oregon from CA = Proportionally greater lawsuits (they're coming from Cali, after all) = More jobs = Less competitition

It's a pretty simple concept to grasp, actually

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
UO looks neat, but OMG, Eugene is soooooooooooooooo white!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene%2C_Oregon

That's a very racist comment

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »

I don't think it's racist... just honest.

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 11:48:04 PM »

Say, "OMG, Detroit is soooooooooooooooo black!!!!" and see how far it gets your naive @$$...

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 11:50:02 PM »

Say, "OMG, Detroit is soooooooooooooooo black!!!!" and see how far it gets your naive @$$...

Oh, and to answer your post more directly, of course it is racist.