Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is being a lawyer really worth it?  (Read 7119 times)

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
Is being a lawyer really worth it?
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:57:13 AM »
To those of you with a few years WE,

Why are you deciding to go to law school?  Is it primarily because you are miserable where you are?  I have been talking to many future law students, most right out of undergrad, and most seem to be (frankly speaking) complete pricks. 

Also, how many of you are going into law school for reasons other than just plain money?  I am happy with my current income, but like everyone else, I would like to make more.  But I am going to law school because being a lawyer would provide a more stable life for any potential family.  My current job precludes the possibility of a wife and children, which I would love to have one day.

Just some thoughts....anyone can throw their opinion in.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is being a lawyer really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 12:08:54 PM »
I will have worked for 3 years by the time I set foot in ls.  I am going because I have always known I wanted to go.  I just didn't want to be an UG yahoo who sets foot in ls w/o work experience.  These past 3 years were invaluable for ls.  I cannot imagine graduating from LS, never having worked in the "real world" before.  I have learned a tremendous amount about people and business practices.  UG just can't provide that.

The reason I have always known I want to go to law school is that I enjoy adversarial environments.  I enjoy working hard, competition, and analytical tasks.  I also love to research a lot in ways that would drive most folks crazy.  I also acknowledge that the legal field is no place to hide from working w/ people.  I also am excited about the prospect of working with other intelligent individuals in a business to business setting.  Most of all, I enjoy reading about and studying the law.  It is fascinating to see how the law affects almost every transaction and interaction in society. 

I actually spent a good deal of time in my personal statement talking about my need to work for awhile to KNOW that I want to go to ls.  I knew it was an awesome thing to write about since most kids really don't think about it.  They get scared to graduate their UG and they freak out and go to ls.  I emphasized how much time I actually put into the decision...over 10 years.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 12:13:59 PM »
I'm going into law because I've put it off for too long and the circumstances are right.  The kids are grown and gone, my income needs are lower and I'm not traveling in my work anymore.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 12:39:27 PM »
Like jj I've put it off too long.  My kids aren't grown but they're old enough to basically take care of themselves.  I had an emergency appendectomy in February, which reminded me that I'm not as young as I used to be so I decided not to put it off any longer.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

lime

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 05:15:31 PM »
I'm going because it makes sense for some fairly specific career goals of mine, and I want to have a little more flexibility in employment options (ie work for a large to small firm, or go out on my own with a skill set that makes me reasonably confident that I could make a good living and support my future family). I've worked for seven years, and currently I'm pretty happy with my job in terms of what I do and the people I work with. But I can do more, and the timing is right for the climate of my industry, and for me personally (wife, no kids yet, about to turn 30).

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 05:48:05 PM »

Why are you deciding to go to law school?  Is it primarily because you are miserable where you are?  I have been talking to many future law students, most right out of undergrad, and most seem to be (frankly speaking) complete pricks. 

Also, how many of you are going into law school for reasons other than just plain money?  I am happy with my current income, but like everyone else, I would like to make more.  But I am going to law school because being a lawyer would provide a more stable life for any potential family.  My current job precludes the possibility of a wife and children, which I would love to have one day.

By the time I enter law school I will have had 10 years of military service.  I thoroughly enjoy the Air Force, and all the experiences I have had because of my service.  However, it is not a change of career path for me.  When I joined the Air Force, I did so out of a couple reasons: I wanted to serve my country as my father and grandfather did, I wanted a means to finish college (I had two children out of high school), and I wanted to put myself in a better position to follow my dream of being an attorney.  Although I have enjoyed my time in the military, I will have no regrets about leaving it behind for law school.

Jason

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 06:45:28 PM »

By the time I enter law school I will have had 10 years of military service.  I thoroughly enjoy the Air Force, and all the experiences I have had because of my service.  However, it is not a change of career path for me.  When I joined the Air Force, I did so out of a couple reasons: I wanted to serve my country as my father and grandfather did, I wanted a means to finish college (I had two children out of high school), and I wanted to put myself in a better position to follow my dream of being an attorney.  Although I have enjoyed my time in the military, I will have no regrets about leaving it behind for law school.

Jason

where r u going to school?

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 08:43:07 PM »
At this point, I do not know where I will go for Law School.  I have dreams and aspirations of certain schools like everyone else; however, seeing that I won't even be taking the LSAT until 2005, I don't want to speculate.  I will not finish my military service commitment until 2006.

Jason

sandpoet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 12:41:05 PM »
Pursuing a law career opens up a variety of opportunities. Personally, I have worked in the business area for over twenty years and this is a second career. Money isn't as important; challenge, independence and a career that you can take into your senior years are more important factors. I have started a new family and transplanted them in a new state to pursue this end. Each of us have different goals and the question of "Is being a lawyer really worth it?" is answered quite differently for us all. Myself, it is a commitment of time and money. Three years will come and go regardless, whether I choose law school or not. Law school for me at 25 was but a dream deferred; never a dream dashed. Give it the old college try and avoid those regrets.

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 12:23:34 PM »
Swagger,

The question is, is it really worth it to you?  And I'm not talking about the money aspect of it.  You can make money in any industry if you're smart enough.  The question is:  do you want to be an attorney or do you want to have a steady paycheck?  Pardon my insight, but you seem to be undecided about this issue, and it's not something anyone on any board can answer for you. You have to decide if what you're doing with your life is your 'calling', as cheesy as that sounds, and whether you can stand to do this for the next 20-30 years.  If not, think about what really makes you happy and find out more about making a living doing it.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to make money when you love what you do.

Good luck!
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie