Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone think LSAT prep has made you sharper in other aspects of your life?  (Read 1630 times)

nathanielmark

I spend a moderate amount of time troubleshooting pretty open-ended complicated problems here at work.

It seems like in recent weeks, I have been quicker to move to rule things out, better at picking up possible problems, etc.  I honestly think all the LSAT prep may be helping me think more logically about problems i face at work.  I just seem sharper overall.

of course this could just be self-delusion, but this is my observation.

anyone else notice anything similar?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Actually yeah, studying for the LSAT has helped me become a better test taker.  My grades significantly went up after I started studying for the LSAT and I starting making better deductions on multiple choice tests. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I agree with you.  As a part of my studying, I would try to make every aspect of life into a LSAT question.  Looking at assumptions in daily situations.  It helped me study.  But it also changed the way I looked at problems.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It definitely has helped me at work.  I write arbitrations at my job for arguments on liability between 2 insurance companies.  You wouldn't believe the assumptions people make!!!  They were like the EASY LR questions!!!!

W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

jgruber

Not at all

nathanielmark

sounds like a cool job.. does it pay well?> 

It definitely has helped me at work.  I write arbitrations at my job for arguments on liability between 2 insurance companies.  You wouldn't believe the assumptions people make!!!  They were like the EASY LR questions!!!!

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It was an awesome component of my job.  Unfortunately, I only did it 5% of my workday.  They had other yahoos in the office do it for awhile.  They really sucked at it. 

Lesson #1 of corporate America: Even if you're really good at something, they still may not let you do it...like high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   >:( ;D
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

nathanielmark

what was your ugrad degree in?  is this like an accounting/finance job?

It was an awesome component of my job.  Unfortunately, I only did it 5% of my workday.  They had other yahoos in the office do it for awhile.  They really sucked at it. 

Lesson #1 of corporate America: Even if you're really good at something, they still may not let you do it...like high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   >:( ;D

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Undergrad degree: Geography (Actually Environmental Studies) 
My job: Claims Adjuster - Although about 2 months into my job, I noticed that my company was really mismanaging the arbitration process.  So, I offered to take it over for awhile and get everything in order.  I did that for approximately 3 months straight...best 3 months!

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I too feel sharper overall