Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 LOR Down, 1 To go!!!  (Read 1936 times)

nathanielmark

1 LOR Down, 1 To go!!!
« on: June 17, 2004, 10:49:45 AM »
my boss sent mine out.  im hoping it was a good one.  i suspect it will be.

next up i am going to cold call my department head even though i have been out of school 4 years now.  igot an A in his class and we were on friendly terms.  im going to have to get up the nerve to make that phonecall though, lol.

nathanielmark

Re: 1 LOR Down, 1 To go!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 12:11:56 PM »
apparently, nobody gives a *&^% about my LORs... :'(

my boss sent mine out.  im hoping it was a good one.  i suspect it will be.

next up i am going to cold call my department head even though i have been out of school 4 years now.  igot an A in his class and we were on friendly terms.  im going to have to get up the nerve to make that phonecall though, lol.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 12:30:06 PM »
I give a *&^%.  I've been out for 3 years.  Had NO relationships at school with any profs, and my company has a policy against recommendations.  SO, I am down to the bottom of the barrel.  On the plus side my old supervisor (whos manager position I now hold) left the company so I'm trying to get one from him.  My lab partner in College is gonna give me one, which is cool 'cause I was a great lab partner.  And my sister who's a JD is gonna write one as well, in case one of the other two falls through.  here's hoping
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 12:31:23 PM »
I'll write one for you based on your postings.   ;)

If you can't find anyone, maybe your pastor, priest or whatever could write one.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »
I'll write one for you based on your postings.   ;)

im not so sure that would be such a good one, but thanks for the offer

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 02:15:34 PM »
I don't know if I'd have your sister write one.  You're supposed to look outside of family and go to people who can recommend you in a postitive way and an objective view point.  Call me crazy, but your sister probably doesn't have an objective viewpoint, JD or no.  It won't look good on your app, so I'd try to find someone else.

I have one in from last year, one of the attorneys I work for agreed today to write me a rec, and I still haven't heard anything from a prof who agreed to write me a rec back in the end of March.  I'm going to email him next week and politely ask where the heck my rec is.   :)  (I'm thinking I'll blame LSDAS's ineptitude for asking.)

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 05:01:58 PM »
I give a *&^%.  I've been out for 3 years.  Had NO relationships at school with any profs, and my company has a policy against recommendations.  SO, I am down to the bottom of the barrel.  On the plus side my old supervisor (whos manager position I now hold) left the company so I'm trying to get one from him.  My lab partner in College is gonna give me one, which is cool 'cause I was a great lab partner.  And my sister who's a JD is gonna write one as well, in case one of the other two falls through.  here's hoping

My advice for Thalky:

I would forgo the offer from the lab partner; at best he was a peer, and not a "superior" or instructor/professor.  I would contact your department at the university; contact the chair and maybe one of your more favorite professors that you did well in his/her class (or even a professor in your minor field if you had one).  These people, I have found, will be very helpful, especially as the success of their students reflects well on their department and on the university as a whole (plus more money to the alumni office eventually, possibly, as greater income will be made from greater edu).   

One of my professors spent 4+ hours with me combined working on the LOR, and it was a fantastic one.  If they can provide a lot of detail, and avoid sweeping generalties - providing a lot of concrete examples, etc., this will be best.  And the thing is, I had been out of school for 4+ years, and still made contact with some past profs in my depart...

So the process I would follow (sorry for rambling), request a copy of your transcript, write down everything that you would like in your LOR, and provide a fact sheet/resume of what you have been doing since graduating, even including activities you were involved in while in college, and any accomplishments.  This will be a good starting point for the prof; the prof will see the As that you earned in the dept from the transcript, and will have specific examples to use in the LOR...I would try to get both LORs from professors, because they are in more of a position to evaluate your academic potential than maybe your sister-in-law with a JD...

So even though you never developed any relationships with these people, I bet they are willing to help.  Oh, and lastly, it is best for a personal meeting if you can, rather than just communicating via phone/email.  I was tempted to follow this route, but it is best to meet in person with these people, as a courtesy...

Just my two cents...Best of luck!