Law School Discussion

School Specific LOR's

-0-

• View Profile
School Specific LOR's
« on: August 04, 2005, 12:36:07 PM »
I have had the opportunity to work at a corporate headquarters for a major international company.  Many of the people working here (including my direct supervisor) are graduates of the Harvard Business School; would a LOR from the Harvard Business School look better than a typical LOR to a Harvard Law admission's officer?

The General Counsel with whom I have had slight contact this summer is a graduate of UVA Law; is it worth it to ask him for a LOR to UVA Law?

SkullTatt

Re: School Specific LOR's
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 12:48:06 PM »
I have 2 cents about this only because I worked at a company (in San Francisco) that happened to be like 50% Harvard grads -- literally. My impression is that they seem to stick together. So for me, I would consider having the Harvard grads write the Harvard letters. Of course, it depends how well they know you, what they can say, etc.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
General consensus is that it doesn't really matter. REmember that the LOR's are going to be read by professors that may or may not have attended Harvard/UVA. I would suggest having these LOR's written, but using them as general LOR's.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »
My impression is that you want your LORs to be as personal and positive as possible.  Using an alumnus if they have worked with you personally and know your personality is great.  The "slight contact" one is a no go, in my opinion.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »
Yes, the general council (UVA) that you had slight contact with is not a good choice for an LOR.