Law School Discussion

Is it too late to ask a third person for a recommendation?

BigChiefHoho

• 3.77/171
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is it too late to ask a third person for a recommendation?
« on: August 05, 2005, 11:11:58 AM »
Well, I have two good recommendations lined up, but I'm not sure if I need a third.  The two I have now are in my majors and are from professors that I know well.  The third I'm not sure about asking is from a CCN-grad judge in my area.  I had a legal research/writing class with him, in a very small group, so he got to know us pretty well.  I was the top student in the class.  I think he'd write me a good recommendation, but I'm not sure if it's too late to ask him for one, or even if I need a third LOR.  Any ideas?

Re: Is it too late to ask a third person for a recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 11:13:10 AM »
if it is too late then i am SOL.....

really...are you joking?

BigChiefHoho

• 3.77/171
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 11:17:37 AM »
Not joking, just anal retentive. ;)  I want to get all my applications out as soon as possible (i.e., beginning of September if possible).  The whole process of applying for grad school is new to me, so I just don't know how long I need to give my recommenders.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 11:22:02 AM »
uh, no, it's not too late.  unless your recommenders are mentally retarded or the slowest writers in the world, they can probably find time in their schedules to write a letter in the next month.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 11:23:35 AM »
and i think your choice of a third one is a no brainer...that's why i thought you were joking  ;)

plenty of time to beat the rush!

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 11:24:35 AM »
No, it's not too late.

If you have two, I'd get two more.  Some schools require three LORs, and it's always nice to have a spare LOR when you get waitlisted.  Once waitlisted, go ahead and send that spare LOR to demonstrate further interest in the school.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
No, it's not too late.

If you have two, I'd get two more.  Some schools require three LORs, and it's always nice to have a spare LOR when you get waitlisted.  Once waitlisted, go ahead and send that spare LOR to demonstrate further interest in the school.

good point.