Law School Discussion

Is it time to give up Hope?

Is it time to give up Hope?
« on: August 04, 2005, 09:36:31 AM »
I am waitlisted to four schools (Pepperdine, Loyola, Southwestern and USF), these fours schools are my only chance of starting law school this year, can ANY one shed some light on any movement or atleast tell me more about the waitlist process. I understand that there is a chance to hear last minute, but how true is that? This situation has me out of my mind. I know things happen for a reason, but if I had a glimpse of the possible future I could rest my tired emotions.

Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 09:47:44 AM »
This can be an active time for wait list as people finally start to finalize their plans. Some drop out as late as orientation. The question is if you can move to a school very quickly.

Counting on a wait list, though, is very risky. People probably will get off the wait list but most people on the wait list will not. But I would say that you chances are obviously increased with four potential wait lists to get off of.

Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 09:50:09 AM »
I did not apply to those schools, don't know your numbers, and have no clue when they begin classes, that being said:

1. Some schools have no choice but to notify you at the last minute because some people drop out at the last minute. Yes this is incredibly frustrating, but you need to decide what your deadline is. Are you willing to go to the last day? For some people this answer is no, because of moving, family, or financial considerations. If this is you, then I would pick a deadline for myself and get some things in order in case they call, i.e. research the areas around the school so that if you do get the call, you are not completely in the dark about the apartment situation. Find out about moving costs, and if you are in a lease right now, what happens if you have to break it. You will have to deal with these factors, if the WL comes through and at least you will know what you are in for.
2. I am sure you know this, but call, visit, or e-mail them. Say, I know you are busy this time of year but I am still very interested in your school and am willing to attend until the last minute. Ask if they have any idea if there will be movement (obviously they will not tell you for sure) but ask if they are still over-enrolled...if not, then that ups the chance of someone being pulled from the WL. If they still have more people than seats, hope is not over but that just means that many more people will have to drop the school before they go to the WL. If they are willing to tell you- your rank on the WL or even how many people are still on the WL- this may also give you an understanding of your chances. Don't be so pushy that it alienates them, but seem very interested in your chances.
3. You are on four WLs. I think this helps you because you have more than one opportunity working for you. Esp. since some of those schools are close together, people may opt to attend one over the other, and a space could open up.
4. Would you be willing to accept PT? It is not ideal but there is a pretty good chance if you keep your grades up, that you can transfer into FT after the first or second semester. Your opportunities are the same but you just have to be willing to make up the extra class. If you would, then call the school and notify them.
Bottom Line: I think you still have a chance. I got off my first choice WL two weeks ago, I had to accept PT but it was worth it to me because that was the school I had wanted since the beginning. I had a couple other acceptances for FT but I just had my heart set on Brooklyn and could not refuse. Movement is still going on...with a little flexibility and good fortune I think you stand a chance. G



  • ****
  • 2475
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 10:09:41 AM »
I got in at my first choice in Mid July as well.  One of the attorneys I work with got into Northwestern the day classes started.
It just depends on your own ability to move suddenly (if required).

I couldn't do that too easily (SO and other commitment) because I had already given up when I got accepted (even the school seemed shocked they went to their WL), but I ended up deferring.

Decide now how long you will wait, and stick to that.

Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 10:11:16 AM »
what a thoughtful reply.  thank you abc2103.

Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 12:06:29 PM »
I got off the waitlist yesterday, so yes, things are still moving.  The other poster had good advice-follow that and be prepared for anything!


  • ****
  • 539
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 12:15:23 PM »
My aunt, and this was a long time ago but still, got admitted to Yale just as she was about to move into her apartment at Notre Dame.  She decdided to stick with Notre Dame, but the point is don't give up hope.  I have some friends in law school at my UG and they know people who were admitted during orientation.  Don't give up hope!


Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »
Leah22: I feel your pain, I am waitlisted at six schools (Miami,Pepperdine,OSU,Rutgers-Newark,Seton Hall,U. of Tenn.) This has been the worst summer of my life. It is so frustrating to live life in limbo. My first choice, Miami, all but told me yesterday that I should reapply.  Good Luck to you, hopefully one of the four will come calling.

bhsueiu: What school?


Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 01:09:42 PM »
have faith.  if you do not get in this year, there is always next year.  and if you don't get in anywhere for this fall, it may be better for you in the long run (although i understand with empathy how hard this would be to see in your predicament).  hope those waitlists move soon.

Re: Is it time to give up Hope?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 03:35:29 PM »
Thank you all for the support and advice ... its helps to get feed back. I am ready to move at a moments notice, so I guess I have no deadline, I will wait this out till the end. I have sent a few more LOR's in June and my own follow up letter a few weeks ago. I have not called, because I feel like they will give me a generic answer and it wont make too much difference. But I think I will call early next week just to cover all my bases. I have heard lots of Waitlist stories, lets hope I will be able to tell my own one day.
Good Luck fellow waitlisters!!  ;)