Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Orientation Thread  (Read 9025 times)

faith2005

Re: The Orientation Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 04:48:58 PM »
 :D  :D  :D  i'm sure that the enlightened students of boalt would have love for people outside of the norm right ruskie? blk, you have nothing to worry about... :D

it's unfortunate that if a person chooses to wear a button down shirt with french cuffs and some slacks because it's outside of the norm.. they'd be labeled as uptight..

bless their hearts...

and btw ruskie, i wasnt being critical of what ppl were wearing just to be a pain in the ass.  it's just that some ppl took it a little too far.  its as one of the 2L's told us-- this a professional school we're attending.  ppl (fellow students, 2-3L's, and professionals w/ the ability to help make or break you) will be watching and listening to everything we say and do.  the last thing you want is to be known as the slob of your orientation class.

Those kinds of comments at berkeley would make people think YOU were uptight.  But, I guess it's a different culture at our school.  People wear whatever the hell they want to class, orientation, admit day, etc.  Those occasions are casual, but people dress up where it counts, i.e. interviews, firm recruitment events, cocktail parties.  There was a guy in my class who wore a suit to orientation and for the rest of the year he was known as "that prick who was trying to outdo everyone else at orientation."  In an environment where everyone else is fairly laid-back, the easiest way to make a name for yourself is to look/act uptight.  I am sure the opposite is true in more conservative schools.  I think the 1L's should just get a sense of the culture of the school and then pick out what to wear.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 04:51:53 PM »
Went to buy my books yesterday. That 850 dollars almost made a brother cry. I won't get them till tommorrow when I pick up my book voucher from financial aid. Then it's the start of work and more work.

Nupe nupe nupe, seriously though, are there no 2L's or 3L's you can holler at who had your professors??

You don't wanna come out of pocket like that if you don't have to.  Save that money for something important, like long island iced teas after finals.

I just priced the books, I had to use a high figure for financial aid so I could up my scholarship. Now I need to find some cheap books.  I have some chapter brothers who graduated from my school, they are looking out for me

seu2002

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 04:57:30 PM »
good luck on that.  i have most of my books except for the ones that aren't at all available.  damn you new editions!

sands, check your PMs.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 05:07:18 PM »
good luck on that.  i have most of my books except for the ones that aren't at all available.  damn you new editions!

sands, check your PMs.

well good luck on that

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 10:33:50 AM »

I just priced the books, I had to use a high figure for financial aid so I could up my scholarship. Now I need to find some cheap books.  I have some chapter brothers who graduated from my school, they are looking out for me

Good stuff
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 11:15:14 PM »
Ok I'.m in my apartment and I have no phone, no cable, and no internet. I can only afford one or the other. I'm leaning toward cable, just because I need espn when college football season starts. Any thoughts on which one is more important. Mind you I can get on my schools wireless network on campus, but will I need the internet for late night studies at the crib?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 11:26:51 PM »
Internet.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2005, 12:13:43 AM »
Ok I'.m in my apartment and I have no phone, no cable, and no internet. I can only afford one or the other. I'm leaning toward cable, just because I need espn when college football season starts. Any thoughts on which one is more important. Mind you I can get on my schools wireless network on campus, but will I need the internet for late night studies at the crib?

get cable and buy a $30 wireless internet receiver and try your luck ;)
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2005, 12:31:39 AM »
get a phone.. u can catch some of the games at a friend's house I'm sure..with a phone line you can make your calls.. and at the very least use dial up.. i don't remember how much Verizon's package is up there but there are usually some promotionals going on around this time for phone and dsl service

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

seu2002

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2005, 03:20:32 PM »
ol boy in the hustler t-shirt i was talking about earlier is my new best friend.  :P