Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Orientation Thread  (Read 9026 times)

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
The Orientation Thread
« on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:44 AM »
This is the thread for entering 1L's to share their orientation experiences and compare notes on how to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
Re: The Orientation Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 08:50:20 AM »
Sue my orientation starts Aug. 15, but I'm moving up there Saturday to get ready and start on all that work they gave us.

Let's here about your experiance

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 03:06:52 PM »
I have a black student "orientation" with the BLAA and then we have real orientation.  I'll post up the days events.
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »
I have a black student "orientation" with the BLAA and then we have real orientation.  I'll post up the days events.

A black student orientation  ???  They must really want ya'll to feel comfortable so they don't loose thier quota i mean diversity ranking

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 03:17:38 PM »

Whoa, that sounds crazy as hell...What's BLAA?  Please tell what happens at a "black student orientation" I'm curious...
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »

Whoa, that sounds crazy as hell...What's BLAA?  Please tell what happens at a "black student orientation" I'm curious...

LOL...I think it stands for Black Law Alumni Association.  Blk...did you have something like this? 

We'll see what happens...it is a weekend of events with BLSA and BLAA. 
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 06:25:42 PM »
hey hey now... >:( don't start hating on GW Ike..that's my alma mata!!!!

Blue you'll get breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday.. eat up :D... seriously it's a meet and great put on by various Black Alums from the university... it's set up to give tips on how to brief... the pros and cons of each professor.. etc etc... same thing that you'll go over at the regular orientation..

the BLAA is great though..there's also a mid-semester event that they host to try to help out with any problems that you may have encountered during the semester.. and in November you'll have a "Mock Writing Session" which helps to better prepare for the LRW exam...

as I was telling you before Blue.. you'll get a mentor your 3L which is provided through BLAA...

I plan on coming up there for Colonial weekend in October...

A black student orientation  ???  They must really want ya'll to feel comfortable so they don't loose thier quota i mean diversity ranking
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

lex19

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 06:47:22 PM »
i'm sure all PWI do this, i know my undergrad did and so does the law school, it's def needed

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 06:54:10 PM »
On the 23rd, I'll be starting Michigna's pre-orientation program, MAP.

Apparently MAP used to stand for "Minority Access Program," but now it's just "Michigan Access Program" (IE they started letting everyone attend, not just minorities).

This orientation is 2.5 days, and starts a week before the "regular" orientation, but I think I'd have to have been crazy to pass it up.

(1) It's free.  They even put you up in a hotel for those 2.5 days if you can't move into your place yet.

(2) You get two chances to meet people and two mock lectures and two chances to sit down with professors and talk about their expectations prior to classes beginning.

(3) As a MAP participant, you continue meeting up with professors and students regularly just to make sure everyone is on the same page academically.

Like, hello?  Extra help ALL YEAR LONG just 'cause I show up early?

Sign me up twice!

(I can't believe there are people not attending...but there are!  The Assistant Dean of Students actually called me up to pitch the program to me, and I was like, "Form's already in the mail. You'd have to be crazy to pass up an opportunity like this!"  And she basically went, "Um, yeah..."  :D )

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 06:56:36 PM »
that's exactly what goes down at the BLAA event anoddduck...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...