Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Varying diffulculty on the bar  (Read 1472 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Varying diffulculty on the bar
« on: June 16, 2004, 11:43:21 PM »
Is there any one state, or maybe a few, that are notorious for
administrering the toughest Bar exams on a regular basis?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

lexylit

Re: Varying diffulculty on the bar
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 12:11:34 AM »
bar passage rates arent good to go on-- e.g. some states you dont have to go to law school to take it, others you do; california is gigantic so its pass rate looks low vs e.g. massachusetts but that doesnt mean its harder. some schools will better prepare you for the bar in their respective states but when it comes to the top schools theyll prepare you pretty equally well for any.

if youre not there yet and already concerned, i would say choose your electives in school based on what will help you on the bar, not just what looks like fun. that was a big regret/frustration for my brother-- he felt like lawschool (a tier 1 one) didnt even remotely prep him for the bar. then again some people just suck it up and accept that, take whats appealing in school, & take the barbri course or whatever later.

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 12:49:45 AM »
i've heard they're all a female dog.

delaware, ny, and california bars stand out in my head for some reason.

Is there any one state, or maybe a few, that are notorious for
administrering the toughest Bar exams on a regular basis?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 12:53:35 AM »
NY and California are the hardest in the nation.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 10:23:55 AM »
Not sure about Cali, but NY is def one of the hardest.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 10:25:16 AM »
The state wide passing rate in Tennessee is around 85% or so.  Easy bar or better law schools?  Hmmmmmmm.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 07:20:53 PM »
The state wide passing rate in Tennessee is around 85% or so.  Easy bar or better law schools?  Hmmmmmmm.

State wide pass rate in here in CA is 51%  Tough bar or stupid people?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 07:33:13 PM »
ha. i've heard attorneys on the east coast attribute that to stupid laws.

State wide pass rate in here in CA is 51%  Tough bar or stupid people?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 02:05:36 AM »
I don't know...some east coast laws are pretty damn ridiculous!

NY: A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.

NJ:It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

IL:You may be convicted of a Class 4 felony offense, punishable by up to three years in state prison, for the crime of "eavesdropping" on your own conversation. -720 ILCS 5/14-2.

MA: Bullets may not be used as currency.

PA: (Just for you, Ginatio):
It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel. However up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law.

All liquor stores must be run by the state. [See, they're communists too.  You don't need to go all the way to Boalt for that!] :-*

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 03:09:14 AM »
I don't know...some east coast laws are pretty damn ridiculous!

NY: A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.

NJ:It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

IL:You may be convicted of a Class 4 felony offense, punishable by up to three years in state prison, for the crime of "eavesdropping" on your own conversation. -720 ILCS 5/14-2.

MA: Bullets may not be used as currency.

PA: (Just for you, Ginatio):
It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel. However up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law.

All liquor stores must be run by the state. [See, they're communists too.  You don't need to go all the way to Boalt for that!] :-*

Wait till you get to Cal (aka UC Berkeley).  Some of their local laws are ummmm "out there"
I hope you lean a bit to the left politically.

What an awesome little town and school!  Congratuations!  Man if I only could start over again, that's where I would go.  My dad went there so I grew up watching all the Cal Bears' football games from "tightwad hill."  (If you don't know what that is yet, you will)

Damn I envy you  :'(

Good luck!  I know you won't need it though...

Mike