Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Going to Lower School with the Intention of Transferring an Option?  (Read 1736 times)

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
It seems to be the consensus that a T14 is not very likely with my GPA but I really want to graduate from a T14 school. So the question then becomes just how easy is it to transfer to a T14? Could I pick a school for next year with the intention of transferring after first year? What kind of a school would I need to be going to in order to transfer to a T14? Would it have to be tier 1? Would I need to be in the top 5%? Top 10%? Have to be on law review? Could I just go fishing for a full scholarship, go to some ridiculous school and then transfer?

Does anyone have any solid info about transferring (to Boalt in particular)?

dunson

Re: Is Going to Lower School with the Intention of Transferring an Option?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »
if you have the hopes, not intentions as you stated, of transferring to a t14, go to the best school you can get into and study your ass off.  top 10% at a tier 1 should net a transfer somewhere i'd think. 

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 11:36:24 PM »
It seems to be the consensus that a T14 is not very likely with my GPA but I really want to graduate from a T14 school. So the question then becomes just how easy is it to transfer to a T14? Could I pick a school for next year with the intention of transferring after first year? What kind of a school would I need to be going to in order to transfer to a T14? Would it have to be tier 1? Would I need to be in the top 5%? Top 10%? Have to be on law review? Could I just go fishing for a full scholarship, go to some ridiculous school and then transfer?

Does anyone have any solid info about transferring (to Boalt in particular)?

I dont know what your GPA/LSAT are but it's very possible to transfer. Someone who went to my T4 school scored in the top 5% and got into Michigan, Cornell, Penn, and Georgetown. I'm not sure if she was a URM or not, but either way, a jump from a T4 to T1 is pretty significant. So if you get into a T2 or higher, I'd say you could get into a T14 if you score in the top 5-10%.
I'm hoping to transfer more for location than prestige.. Just bust your ass, send the apps out during your winter break, and hope for the best. Shoot high...but come December you may find that you don't even want to apply for a transfer after all.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »
I would say probebally top 5 % to transfer into boalt.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 10:59:17 AM »
there is a "trasferapps" group on yahoo that has terrific information about this.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:05:21 AM »
Transfering schools is like having sex with a fat chick:  it seems like the perfect plan before hand, but once you are doing it you realize it might not work.

Go where you will be happy.  Not everybody gets a T14 degree, thats why it is so valuable.

dunson

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 11:15:27 AM »
also, searching for or asking this question on xoxohth.com may be helpful.  that site is full of people who desire to transfer to a t14

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 11:41:48 AM »
that site is also full of people who are full of sh&t!

dunson

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 11:47:21 AM »
that site is also full of people who are full of sh&t!

all too true.  but there is a large group of people seemingly in the know about top schools. 

OP:  i would like to add a caveat to going to that website.  wait until you have your great grades after 1L first semester to ask any kind of question there expecting any semblance of a kind answer.  oh, and make sure you are already attending a decent school. 

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 11:48:10 AM »
So it wouldn't have to be a tier 1 to transfer to a T14 then? Would it matter if I was at a tier 1? With my LSAT I'm sure I can get in to a tier 1 and will apply to some T14s, but gpa kills my chances at most. I also wrote the LSAT twice and didn't do well the first time (161/170) because I had to get up at 4am to catch a plane flight to take the test. I'm going to include an addendum to all the schools I'll apply to, but I'm taking an extra hard look at the top schools that take your highest LSAT (Cornell, NW, G'Town).

I really want to graduate from a T14, largely because I want to teach law after practicing for a while. I know it's not the be all and end all of the world, but I really would like to. I am certain to get in to a tier 1, but my gpa really hurts my chances at T14. I also wrote the LSAT twice (161/170) but I had to travel and incredible distance to get to the test the first time. I intend to include an addendum to every school I apply to explaining this, but pretty much any T14 that doesn't just look at highest LSAT is out (that leaves Cornell, GW, and NW, Columbia is out of my league).

n any case, does anyone have a link for this yahoo groups site? I refuse to look at xoxo, but would be interested in more information.