Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are late cell phone payments reflected on credit reports?  (Read 1992 times)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: are late cell phone payments reflected on credit reports?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 01:54:41 PM »
I too have had late cell phone payments, and have not yet had credit problems.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 02:04:02 PM »
Credit cards don't report you to the Credit Bureaus until you are more than 30 days late.  So if you paid your bill 2 weeks late and sucked up the $39 fine or whatever, the Credit People never know.  Your credit card company just made an extra $39 or whatever.

With bills like utilities, etc, those things don't show up until they get turned over to a collection agency.

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 12:49:07 AM »
Really social drinker?  Can you point me to the FCRA amendment that says this?  Seriously, I hadn't known that there was any change to the FCRA at all regarding the new access law. 

Social Drinker is right. It is 45 days. This is not an amendment to the FCRA per se, but a provision of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction (FACT) Act of 2003, which is an amendment to the FCRA. This applies to all disputes made after 12/1/04. This law also relaxes the rules regulating employer investigations of employees in workplace misconduct inquiries, inter alia. Search FindLaw by the full name of the act, and you will find everything you'd ever want to know about this new act in plain language (not that new really- signed on 12/1/03). It's worth reading as this act changes the rules pretty significantly for and against the private individual in some areas.

I found a link to verify what I'm telling you about the 45 days.

http://www.consumersunion.org/creditmatters/creditmattersfactsheets/001628.html

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 12:59:21 AM »
Thanks for the information!  I really appreciate it!!!

One of our attorneys did some crappy research on this one...I think.  I can't wait to go to work on Monday and bust him out!

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 02:54:14 AM »
Thanks for the information!  I really appreciate it!!!

One of our attorneys did some crappy research on this one...I think.  I can't wait to go to work on Monday and bust him out!

those boards I posted a link to are absolutely filled with great - and scary - info.  I seriously lost about 2 weeks of my life there but I learned SOOOOOOO much. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 08:17:57 AM »
What's really scarey are people who apply for loans and have never seen their own credit report.  My own had a few errors, and the corrections really boosted my score.  I went from a 750 to a 794, which got me a much lower rate on my credit card (1.9%)

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 08:34:27 AM »
I looked at mine, and everything was a mistake except my previous addresses, a couple of good standing credit accounts and a late Direct TV bill. This was the case on all three reports. There were things like credit accounts I never had, and all kinds of crap. I disputed all of it, but some of the stuff was justified by the credit grantors. Now all I can do is keep disputing until the creditors stop responding and then have it removed. It's infuriating b/c I know these accounts aren't mine.