Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are late cell phone payments reflected on credit reports?  (Read 2028 times)

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
are late cell phone payments reflected on credit reports?
« on: August 03, 2005, 09:55:35 PM »
Hi,

Just want to know if late phone payments are reflected on your credit report.  I think a report only has month to month payment history for your credit cards, consumer loans and mortgages.  So if you paid a few phone bills late (paid them before they were referred to a collection agency), are you OK? 

Thanks. 

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are late cell phone payments reflected on credit reports?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:02:22 PM »
If they were 30+ days late then they will likely appear.  It depends on if your cell phone company is diligent about reporting to the credit reporting agencies.

For more information and research material, check out www.creditboards.com

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 02:39:35 AM »
I have Sprint and my late payments have never been reported (Now I'm sure I just jinxed myself.)

I'm pretty sure that it won't be a problem unless you were turned over to a collection agency.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 09:17:20 AM »
I think that cell phone companies are a bit less Nazi about reporting to CRA's because, let's face it, everyone is late now and then.  About a year ago, my phone was actually turned off because it totally slipped my mind that month when I was paying bills.  A quick phone call (from someone else's phone  ::)) and it was cleared up but the incident never reached my CR.  It probably wouldn't reach the CRA unless it went into default.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 09:26:55 AM »
you're probably fine if you're never in a arrears for more than one cycle at any given moment, and if you're only late a couple times a year.  i've made late payments to cell phone companies and credit card companies.  none of those late payments have ever shown up on my credit reports.  in fact, my credit score is excellent.  dbgirl is right.  just don't let things get to the point where collection agencies are involved.  bad.  very bad.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 09:43:24 AM »
A new law passed in March allows you to get one free report from each major bureau once per year..

go to annualcreditreport.com and check.

Most credit reports have at least one error on them...get yours and check for yourself. 

Oh, and those net advertisements for "credit protection" services are BS, the annualcreditreport site is the only one mandated by the   gov't...

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:27 AM »
There is one hiccup in getting those free reports.  Normally, if you contest any information on your report, the CRA only has 30 days to verify it or it comes off.  Once you contest information after ordering your free report, they have 45 days. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 11:04:52 AM »
Really social drinker?  Can you point me to the FCRA amendment that says this?  Seriously, I hadn't known that there was any change to the FCRA at all regarding the new access law. 

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 12:42:40 PM »
I don't think that there has been an ammendment as of yet.  That is what has a lot of people up in arms about the whole thing so far.  Here  is just one sample thread I found regarding it here:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117361&hl=free+credit+report

I'm sure that there are hundreds more relevant on those boards so if you do a search I'm sure you will come across them.

The more you read those boards and see what people go through, the more you realize that the FCRA is ignored, abused, and not properly enforced.  A very sad thing.

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 01:34:04 PM »
yeah, just depends on if they reported it or not. How good of a customer (are missed payments regular, have checks bounced, etc.) can play a role in the decision to report.