Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to do??  (Read 271 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What to do??
« on: August 01, 2005, 06:33:23 PM »
I'm writing my LSAT on oct and I can't decide whether to attend LS in the states or back in Canada.  My main concern is that in canada, LS weigh GPA and LSAT by 50/50 whereas in the states GPA usually account for only 20% in the entry consideration.
As well, Canadian LS are definetely cheaper, usually costing around $9,000CDN.  As well, I have a high GPA, so I can see myself attending any canadian lawschool EXCEPT for University of Toronto if I were to score around 158-160.

Yet, U.S. being the U.S., it is the biggest economy in the world.  It seems like there are so much more opportunity here, and studying at the U.S. would be a great new start for me. 

My biggest concern is that I do not think that I could score in the high 160s to attend a very prestigious LS.  My realistic aim is scoring around 157-158 or 160 if I were to be very lucky. I know that I would have very limited shot at a top 50 LS.  My question is that, if I score 158, and with my GPA being around 3.64, if i were to attend the best school available for me with that stat, what would be a realistic starting salary that I would make?  I know this could very a lot by where I actually practice and the type of job I receive, but I would like to know a general figure. 

Additionally, would it be a better idea to just attend a Canadian LS, which doesn't have an established ranking, or study at U.S. LS despite not attending a top 50 LS?

Thanks guys.

P.S. I've looked at the median salary post below, but that just looks abit off.

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Re: What to do??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:36:04 PM »
Actually, you can get into some respectable schools with that GPA and a score in the high 150's. Of course, it probably will not be Harvard but possibly University of Miami and University of Tennesse at Knoxville. Of course, a couple of the tier 1 schools that you have a shot at are not in the best location but they are very good. Furthermore, just keep on practicing for the LSAT because it is a learnable test. Though my LSAT score does not really reflect that.  ::) So chekc out Law School Numbers and you may find ppl with similar stats end up in tier 1 schools. Either way best of luck.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 09:36:22 PM »
Actually, you can get into some respectable schools with that GPA and a score in the high 150's. Of course, it probably will not be Harvard but possibly University of Miami and University of Tennesse at Knoxville. Of course, a couple of the tier 1 schools that you have a shot at are not in the best location but they are very good. Furthermore, just keep on practicing for the LSAT because it is a learnable test. Though my LSAT score does not really reflect that.  ::) So chekc out Law School Numbers and you may find ppl with similar stats end up in tier 1 schools. Either way best of luck.

I may sound stupid on this one, but tier one is top 50 right?
I also blame everything on scientology as well lol.

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »
Maybe you should wait for your test result and then look at which options are realistic.  You can always apply to both Canadian and US schools. 

I'm writing my LSAT on oct and I can't decide whether to attend LS in the states or back in Canada.  My main concern is that in canada, LS weigh GPA and LSAT by 50/50 whereas in the states GPA usually account for only 20% in the entry consideration.
As well, Canadian LS are definetely cheaper, usually costing around $9,000CDN.  As well, I have a high GPA, so I can see myself attending any canadian lawschool EXCEPT for University of Toronto if I were to score around 158-160.

Yet, U.S. being the U.S., it is the biggest economy in the world.  It seems like there are so much more opportunity here, and studying at the U.S. would be a great new start for me. 

My biggest concern is that I do not think that I could score in the high 160s to attend a very prestigious LS.  My realistic aim is scoring around 157-158 or 160 if I were to be very lucky. I know that I would have very limited shot at a top 50 LS.  My question is that, if I score 158, and with my GPA being around 3.64, if i were to attend the best school available for me with that stat, what would be a realistic starting salary that I would make?  I know this could very a lot by where I actually practice and the type of job I receive, but I would like to know a general figure. 

Additionally, would it be a better idea to just attend a Canadian LS, which doesn't have an established ranking, or study at U.S. LS despite not attending a top 50 LS?

Thanks guys.

P.S. I've looked at the median salary post below, but that just looks abit off.