Law School Discussion

"special schools"

Re: "special schools"
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 11:26:31 PM »
in at every school from four down minus boalt.

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 11:41:56 PM »
Thanks guys for your feedback.  I would have really been cutting myself short.  I didn't even think I could apply to anything above #20.  I was going to apply to NU anyway b/c I love the school. 

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 11:12:17 AM »
What about Wisconsin?  They are ranked above IUB, but the accepted me....pretty low standards if you ask me!   :o

S.J.

• That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 08:13:33 AM »
176 LSAT
2.5 GPA
NonTrad w/5 yrs WE
URM w/ some good adversity

What do you think about Northwestern, Fordham or Chicago-Kent?  Do I have a chance?

Thanks!

~newhopeful

Any URM with an LSAT above 170 has a strong shot at every school in the country.  It's just not that common.

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »
I don't like rejection... but I guess I shouldn't be applying to law school if I feel this way.

I am going to blanket the schools.  I have waivers so I am good.  It can't hurt to apply to some really good schools and plenty of safe schools.  I will probably apply to about 30...

... any thoughts?

~newhopeful

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 06:33:35 PM »
I don't like rejection... but I guess I shouldn't be applying to law school if I feel this way.

I am going to blanket the schools.  I have waivers so I am good.  It can't hurt to apply to some really good schools and plenty of safe schools.  I will probably apply to about 30...

... any thoughts?

~newhopeful

I think that is a great plan.  Hit the entire Top 20 and then a bunch of safey schools below that.  (With the waivers, it won't be hard.) 

It certainly worked for me... (See below)

Remember: you have a low GPA, sure, so you bring them down on that end, but your LSAT is great, so you bring them up on that end.

End result: they have no net loss on the GPA/LSAT front, but they DO get a minority on board, which makes them look cool.  Know what I mean?

PS I think there are plenty of people who would argue that I applied to too many schools, considering how high I ended up, but the fact remains: hindsight is 20/20, and no one can predict the future.  Hit them all, and then be pleased you have so much to choose from, as opposed to reducing your options right from the start (by not applying to as many places as possible).

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »

I am going to blanket the schools. I have waivers so I am good. It can't hurt to apply to some really good schools and plenty of safe schools. I will probably apply to about 30...

... any thoughts?

~newhopeful

Thank you for the congrats on my lsn account. I honestly think you should try for HYS. Do I think you'll get in? No. But I think you have an outside chance with your stellar LSAT, URM status and WE. I would be surprised if you DIDN'T get into NU. They love WE. Just make sure you interview and make it clear that they are your top choice. Where is your degree from/ what is your degree in? Also, you have UVA on lsn twice ;).

Julee Fern

• be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005, 10:57:01 PM »
176 LSAT
2.5 GPA
NonTrad w/5 yrs WE
URM w/ some good adversity

What do you think about Northwestern, Fordham or Chicago-Kent?  Do I have a chance?

Thanks!

~newhopeful

URM + 176 = application gold.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 01:40:12 PM »

I am going to blanket the schools. I have waivers so I am good. It can't hurt to apply to some really good schools and plenty of safe schools. I will probably apply to about 30...

... any thoughts?

~newhopeful

Thank you for the congrats on my lsn account. I honestly think you should try for HYS. Do I think you'll get in? No. But I think you have an outside chance with your stellar LSAT, URM status and WE. I would be surprised if you DIDN'T get into NU. They love WE. Just make sure you interview and make it clear that they are your top choice. Where is your degree from/ what is your degree in? Also, you have UVA on lsn twice ;).

Thanks, my degree will be in a Social Science.  The school isn't known at all.  I am just hoping for the best... alongside a little begging during my interview.  Wish me luck.

~newhopeful