Law School Discussion

"special schools"

S.J.

• That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
Re: "special schools"
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »
To help people assess chances (especially those with marginal numbers who will go to any tier 1 they can sneak into), it seems that there are quite a few "special" schools in the top 50. That is schools that for their rank don't have stats that measure up, schools with huge in-state preference (meaning median level stats and in state status will get your average white boy in), supreme LSAT whores (meaning 160+ or 165+ and a "reasonable" GPA means autoadmit), supreme GPA whores meaning a 3.X+ GPA and a 25 percentile LSAT and you're in and bumblefuck schools in areas that nobody wants to live in that somehow made top 50 (and that just wanting to live in said state helps you out)

Low stats for rank: IOWA, IU-B
Help for in staters:UNC, Florida, Arizona, UGA
Supreme LSAT whores: WUSTL
Supreme GPA whores:?
bumblefuck areas: IOWA, IU-B, BAMA

Any more to add?

Aside: BOALT is not included because you need a high gpa AND a very high LSAT to be admitted. They like high GPA's but only with a stellar LSAT (thus they are not a GPA whore, in fact all of the UCAL schools require both high LSAT/GPA, they don't like splits). UNC is a GPA whore but only in-state.

Also, there are special schools on the other end of the spectrum (those attempting to raise rankings and are extremely stingy in either GPA or LSAT).

At 90, UNLV comes to mind (any GPA below 3.0 seems to be an autoreject no matter what the lsat, same with an lsat below 160). Cardozo seems to be a little stingy as of late as well.

Just to note:  Boalt still requires a solid LSAT, but much lower than peer schools.  If you have a high GPA and a good PS, you have a shot with a 162, below the 90th percentile.

stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 09:29:27 AM »
I think Minnesota (USNews ranked #19) seems easier to get into than its rank would indicate.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 01:09:46 AM »
Most of the state universities do.

Not the UC's

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 11:07:27 AM »
It should be noted that all of these schools provide special transportation to and from class in really short school buses. 

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 11:15:33 AM »
This is great information... keep it coming.

What about Northwestern, UC Hastings' LEOP program, Fordham, Emory, IIT Chicago-Kent, Indiana-Bloomington... keep it coming.

This is one of the best threads yet.

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 03:34:31 PM »
NW likes WE but it won't mitigate sub par scores, therefore it should not be included. In the much  celebrated case of burghblast (on LSD anyways), I think a 172+ LSAT will put you into just about every school from ten down (there are of course exceptions) almost regardless of GPA. The NW+WE idea is just wishful thinking much like the supposed high GPA BOALT phenom.

LEOP does not apply to the mainstream applicant.

What does Fordham do to make them a little bit easier to get into?

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 10:14:16 PM »
176 LSAT
2.5 GPA
NonTrad w/5 yrs WE
URM w/ some good adversity

What do you think about Northwestern, Fordham or Chicago-Kent?  Do I have a chance?

Thanks!

~newhopeful

DodgerLaw

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 11:08:57 PM »
176 LSAT
2.5 GPA
NonTrad w/5 yrs WE

What do you think about Northwestern, Fordham or Chicago-Kent?  Do I have a chance?

Thanks!

~newhopeful

Northwestern -- Doubtful
Fordham -- Maybe
Chicago-Kent -- Yes

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 11:16:13 PM »
176 LSAT
2.5 GPA
NonTrad w/5 yrs WE

Thanks!

~newhopeful

Northwestern -- Doubtful
Fordham -- Maybe
Chicago-Kent -- Yes

I disagree.  I think you have an EXCELLENT shot at NU.  Your GPA is worse than mine, but you have just as much WE and, perhaps more importantly, a significantly better LSAT score AND the URM card.  I'd apply to all of the T14 minus YHS plus a couple safety schools if I were you.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 11:18:17 PM »
176 LSAT
2.5 GPA
NonTrad w/5 yrs WE

Thanks!

~newhopeful

Northwestern -- Doubtful
Fordham -- Maybe
Chicago-Kent -- Yes

I disagree.  I think you have an EXCELLENT shot at NU.  Your GPA is worse than mine, but you have just as much WE and, perhaps more importantly, a significantly better LSAT score AND the URM card.  I'd apply to all of the T14 minus YHS plus a couple safety schools if I were you.

I change my votes. Burghie is right.