Law School Discussion

"special schools"

"special schools"
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:52:49 AM »
To help people assess chances (especially those with marginal numbers who will go to any tier 1 they can sneak into), it seems that there are quite a few "special" schools in the top 50. That is schools that for their rank don't have stats that measure up, schools with huge in-state preference (meaning median level stats and in state status will get your average white boy in), supreme LSAT whores (meaning 160+ or 165+ and a "reasonable" GPA means autoadmit), supreme GPA whores meaning a 3.X+ GPA and a 25 percentile LSAT and you're in and bumblefuck schools in areas that nobody wants to live in that somehow made top 50 (and that just wanting to live in said state helps you out)

Low stats for rank: IOWA, IU-B
Help for in staters:UNC, Florida, Arizona, UGA
Supreme LSAT whores: WUSTL
Supreme GPA whores:?
bumblefuck areas: IOWA, IU-B, BAMA

Any more to add?

Aside: BOALT is not included because you need a high gpa AND a very high LSAT to be admitted. They like high GPA's but only with a stellar LSAT (thus they are not a GPA whore, in fact all of the UCAL schools require both high LSAT/GPA, they don't like splits). UNC is a GPA whore but only in-state.

Also, there are special schools on the other end of the spectrum (those attempting to raise rankings and are extremely stingy in either GPA or LSAT).

At 90, UNLV comes to mind (any GPA below 3.0 seems to be an autoreject no matter what the lsat, same with an lsat below 160). Cardozo seems to be a little stingy as of late as well.

tegra8

Re: "special schools"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »
Florida doesnt necessarily help the in state students like UNC or UTk....

You could add UNC as a marginal GPA whore as well

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
BOALT is supposed to be a GPA whore

PresClay_00

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 12:17:01 PM »
add UGA to the in-state benefit.

i'd agree about UNC's GPA whoreness.  somewhat, but not overwhelmingly so.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 12:39:07 PM »
I think BYU gives more weight to GPA than any other school. But you still need a pretty good LSAT.

NathanB

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 12:53:28 PM »
I've heard that Cooley REALLY prefers applicants who are breathing, but is willing to compromise once in a while.

RockyMarciano

• Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 01:15:30 PM »
I've heard that Cooley REALLY prefers applicants who are breathing, but is willing to compromise once in a while.
:D LOL

NathanB

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 01:30:50 PM »
Thomas M. Cooley School of Law - "Breathing Whore"

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 09:23:42 PM »
does anyone have a list of the schools that do give preference to residents of their state?

NathanB

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 09:57:58 PM »
Most of the state universities do.