Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP!! BROOKLYN ACCEPTANCE!  (Read 1476 times)

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
NEED HELP!! BROOKLYN ACCEPTANCE!
« on: August 01, 2005, 12:04:50 PM »
so, after I spent tons of money yesterday to move from my former apt to a new house 1.5 miles from st johns, figured out all my financial aid problems and got all my sju *&^% together, brooklyn informs me this morning that I have been accepted to their part-time program..

i wouldnt entertain the thought really, but brooklyn is my top choice and I feel the commute may not be that bad if I am only going part-time.  Also, in the nyc metro area it is considered a bit higher than st johns and is more competitive with schools like cardoza than is sju...

I really dont know what to do and only have a day to decide... any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

thanks
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP!! BROOKLYN ACCEPTANCE!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 12:11:03 PM »
Well- I was a little freaked out myself when I got the call last week because I had all but given up... but in the end Brooklyn was my first choice and I could not justify not going...but I already live close and did not have to move and my tuition payment for Hofstra was not due yet...if you think you can survive the money situation and hastle of getting to school then go to Brooklyn. I would only make the move if I was certain it was my first choice. St. John's is a really good school too and I have heard great things about their alumni networking...in addition to the money and transportation issues, are you hell bent on studying one kind of law and does one school offer more opportunity than the other. For me- that was one factor in changing to Brooklyn. I think you are in a good situation either way. Both schools have a solid reputation, and I am sure you will do well! That being said, COME TO BROOKLYN so we can have fun in the PT section! JK! Good Luck
Attending: Brooklyn

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 12:12:19 PM »
CONGRATS!

Many people don't get into their 1st/2nd/3rd/4th choices, if you really want to go, GO!

I know you said you've already invested money for St. John's, but think of it like this, what's another 2-3 days of hassle to go to your #1 choice? In the longrun, you haven't really invested too much time/money, it's just a drop in the bucket. Do you want to go to your dream school? Or go elsewhere because it would be too much trouble?

These are obviously questions only you can decide. Good luck. Make the decision that's best for you.

Unknown601

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 04:34:11 PM »
Well I did the whole brooklyn vs sju thing from a different angle. I got accepted to brooklyn FT right off the bat and I was pretty damn happy. That was where I was going and that was that. Then SJU offered me a full scholarship for their FT program and it left me pretty confused. I know that its an entirely different situation but the upshot is that I ended up doing a lot of comparison between the two schools. The general consensus I got was that ppl (and by that I mean ppl in the law industry, of which I spoke to many) dont really look at the two schools much differently when u graduate. If u do well in SJU u can pretty much get most of the same oppurtunities as if u had gone to brooklyn. Obviously there are some differences there but then again, SJU has VERY loyal alumni when it comes time to find a job. Of course, having said all that, it still comes down to a personal decision u have to make. Its not an easy one but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine either way u go so once u do decide, dont stress or second guess yourself. Oh and if u didnt know, I decided on SJU, just for the record. Well anyway, hope this helped at least a little and good luck.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 04:46:52 PM »
so, after I spent tons of money yesterday to move from my former apt to a new house 1.5 miles from st johns, figured out all my financial aid problems and got all my sju sh*t together, brooklyn informs me this morning that I have been accepted to their part-time program..

i wouldnt entertain the thought really, but brooklyn is my top choice and I feel the commute may not be that bad if I am only going part-time.  Also, in the nyc metro area it is considered a bit higher than st johns and is more competitive with schools like cardoza than is sju...

I really dont know what to do and only have a day to decide... any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

thanks

Lol. I thought that once you decided that you wanted to move into this house you were withdrawing from all of the waitlists? I'm guessing that something deep down inside you couldn't do it. This is a tough choice you've got, but I hope to see you at Brooklyn in the Fall.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »
hey everyone, thanks a lot for all of the feedback..it helped a lot.. and for many of those reasons i have decided to stay with st johns.. as far as not withdrawing my application, brooklyn was always still a possibility in mind and if it wasnt so late in the cycle i would almost def. be leaning toward brooklyn..

anyway, thanks again guys and i hope somebody can use the seat im freeing up.

mike
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 08:49:02 PM »
hey everyone, thanks a lot for all of the feedback..it helped a lot.. and for many of those reasons i have decided to stay with st johns.. as far as not withdrawing my application, brooklyn was always still a possibility in mind and if it wasnt so late in the cycle i would almost def. be leaning toward brooklyn..

mike

I'm sure Brutal appreciates it. I'm really hoping that she makes it off the Brooklyn WL. If so, just about everyone from our LSD community that was hoping for a Brooklyn acceptance will have received one.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

brutal264

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 09:12:53 PM »
Aww thanks cannotpick...thats really nice. I really don't think its going to happen for me because even though my index is the same, my LSAT is a few points shy of the other kids that got pulled.

Antelope, glad to be hearing you're not leaving the red storm after all! I just got my class sched and section assignment today.

Unknown601

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 10:49:47 PM »
Hey mike, I know I'm a little biased but I think you'll be happy w/ u're decision. I know u'll prob be second guessing yourself at first but I really think that once we start to get into the semester and get used to it, u really wont regret u're decision. Hey just remember, regardless of how things go, u're in good company (geez, I think I said the same thing to brutal in a different thread earlier today. I need new material hehehehe).

Allan

schnorer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 11:57:03 PM »

mike

I'm sure Brutal appreciates it. I'm really hoping that she makes it off the Brooklyn WL. If so, just about everyone from our LSD community that was hoping for a Brooklyn acceptance will have received one.

not me, 157-3.88