Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "W" is NOT a vowel!  (Read 2611 times)

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
"W" is NOT a vowel!
« on: August 01, 2005, 01:08:48 AM »
I seriously hope this has been a huge joke, but on the off chance that is has not:

A vowel sound is one made via the relatively free passage of breath through the larynx and oral cavity, with the vocal tract open.  If you have to close the vocal tract (even partially) in order to make the sound, it is not a vowel sound, but rather a consonant sound.  In English, there are 5.5 vowels: a, e, i, o, u, and (depending on how it is used, thus this is often referred to as a "semi-vowel" in phonetics) y.  Note that w is not among them (because you have to close your mouth, at least partially in order to make a "wah," "weh," "wee," etc., sound).

Thank you, that is all for right now.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "W" is NOT a vowel!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 01:17:05 AM »

Semivowels (sometimes called semiconsonants) are vowels that function as consonants. They are typically briefer, less stable and often closer than the corresponding vowels. Palatal semivowels correspond to front vowels, velar semivowels to back vowels, and labialized semivowels to rounded vowels. Examples:

English y in yes (IPA: [j], SAMPA: [j]), a palatal or unrounded front semivowel.
English w in well (IPA: [w], SAMPA: [w]), a velar labialized or rounded back semivowel.
Dutch w is an approximant in all cases, except in eeuw.
French hu in huit (IPA: [ɥ], SAMPA: [H]), a palatal labialized or rounded front semivowel.
Semivowels are classified as Approximants.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Semivowel

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 07:15:21 AM »
letter g once applied to be vowel, offering to completely overhaul self in order to qualify.  however, that application rudely rejected, and g never quite been same since.  hsppily, g lately been seen exchanging meaningful glances with q, so stay tuned.

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 12:16:21 PM »
letter g once applied to be vowel, offering to completely overhaul self in order to qualify.  however, that application rudely rejected, and g never quite been same since.  hsppily, g lately been seen exchanging meaningful glances with q, so stay tuned.

This is so not funny.  Soooo not funny.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »
and yet, you not go away.

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 03:21:15 PM »

I could say the same for you.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 04:28:31 PM »
and still the vowel "w" most assuredly WILL not go away...let the debate continue...unless u feel like a "ewe"...then just keep observing...those that do not believe in the powerful and enigmatic "w" are merely dipthongs....wo wo...now that is a mouthful. ;)
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 06:27:47 PM »

julie here first.  maybe you should join nice site for alkies, or maybe people who lick their dog's genitals.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 06:29:15 PM »
and still the vowel "w" most assuredly WILL not go away...let the debate continue...unless u feel like a "ewe"...then just keep observing...those that do not believe in the powerful and enigmatic "w" are merely dipthongs....wo wo...now that is a mouthful. ;)

there is no debate.  and julie can imagine that sometimes you feel like ewe.  just say "baaaaaah" and maybe they buy you dinner!

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 07:47:37 PM »

julie here first.  maybe you should join nice site for alkies, or maybe people who lick their dog's genitals.

The funny thing is that you actually think your inane ramblings anger me.  I enjoy watching yourself look more and more stupid as the posts go by.  It's fun to witness you outdo your last idiotic comment every time.