Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: EA, ED Question  (Read 565 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
EA, ED Question
« on: July 31, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »
Can you apply to more than one school under an early decision program? Notre Dame's website and Vandy's website say that after you accept your offer of admission, you have to withdraw your other applications, so I assumed you could apply to more than one school ED as long as you accept only one offer under ED. On GULC's website though, they say you can't apply to more than one school through ED. So, can you apply to more than one school through ED?

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
Re: EA, ED Question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 08:53:02 AM »
Can you apply to more than one school under an early decision program? Notre Dame's website and Vandy's website say that after you accept your offer of admission, you have to withdraw your other applications, so I assumed you could apply to more than one school ED as long as you accept only one offer under ED. On GULC's website though, they say you can't apply to more than one school through ED. So, can you apply to more than one school through ED?

okay, think of this as an LSAT question

if you choose option A than you are bound to take it if they will have you
if you choose option B than you are bound to take it if they will have you

you cannot concurently take option A or B...

need I say more?
(163+172)/3.5

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 09:35:13 AM »
ND's website doesn't say you're bound to go there if they'll have you. Thiss is how it reads...

"Early Decision applicants who are offered admission have until January 5 to accept the offer of admission. At the point that an Early Decision offer of admission is accepted, the candidate then commits to enrolling at Notre Dame Law School and, in so doing, he or she agrees to withdraw applications to other law schools."

If you never accept the admissions offer, you aren't bound to go there, or so it seems. GULC's website says otherwise. Anyway, there seems to be a discrepency...

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 09:57:47 AM »
so you are fine applying there.

Many ED decisions don't give you that luxury, and if you apply to more than ONE you are risking alot of trouble when you violate your contract to attend
(163+172)/3.5

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »
Use this for your ED issues.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 10:44:34 AM »
Use this for your ED issues.

sounds like a Lane post!
(163+172)/3.5

funny1x2

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 04:36:32 PM »
I would call ND and ask them to clarify their position. If you don't want to call, I would then suggest reviewing the application and seeing if there is a contract for ED applicants.

I have never heard of a school which offers ED without the provision the the applicant MUST attend if accepted. So in general, one can only apply to a single school as an ED candidate (because as GO_PTO said, you can't promise one school that you will attend and extend that promise to another school as well). Early action is entirely different and simply means that you will receive a decision earlier than those who apply regularly.

Good luck.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 04:37:54 PM »
I think WUSTL has a similar ED, where they give you a short period to make up your mind. Just be clear what the rules are before you role the dice.
(163+172)/3.5

stacy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 02:21:45 PM »
my perception of EA/ED was that it was like the undergrad version: you can only apply to one place ED, but while that application's under consideration you can send in applications to other schools, either EA or regular decisions.  Then, if you get into the ED school, you MUST withdraw the other applications and attend the ED school.  But if they defer you into a regular pool or deny you, you still have the other apps in...
JD/MUP Summer starter at Michigan

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 04:42:52 PM »
Different schools have different standards, it all comes down to this.

You can apply to as many schools as you want that do not automatically bind you to a decision.  If you have a "short period to decide" you are not bound.

You can only apply to one school that binds you to your decision.

If you get into the school that binds you, you MUST go there regardless.

Adcomm's DO talk to each other, don't risk it.