Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How many people have not told you to go/tried to scare you away from LS?

12 (16%)
1-2
 14 (18.7%)
3-5
 16 (21.3%)
Seems like everyone I meet
 17 (22.7%)
I haven't noticed and/or given a *&^%.
 16 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6266 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2004, 01:50:59 PM »

Succinctly, tell me the cons of working as engineer? 4-5 years ago it sounded like a cool profession but recently I've heard some complaints.

In addition to what my fellow engineer Ginatio said, I'll add that engineering is a mixed back coming out of college.

On the one hand, your starting salary is killing your non-engineering friends who graduated college with you, however, it pretty much stays there FOR-EV-VER (Sandlot kid voice).  I think that was the straw that broke my back, so to speak.  I remember getting my first raise.  They handed me this envolope and gave me some speach about how they expect a lot now because of this, blah blah blah... and I was so excited I ran outside to open it by myself.  I'm glad I was by myself too, because once I saw that they had increased my salary by a breath-taking $100 a month I think I developed some kind of temporary torret's syndrome and just started cussing uncontrolably for about 30 minutes.

And the icing on the cake was that they actually thought they were doing something for me. "don't spend it all in the same place, son".   Oh wow...now I'm rich.  I went from 46k to 47k.  Thanks a lot. 

So that's my beef.  I have a friend who works for Social Security, and they started him at around $30k a year.  His first raise put him just under $40k, and that was after one year.  His next raise will put him into the $40's, and two years from now he will get a raise to $60k.  I have another friend who started off out of college working for an advertising firm making less than $30k.  This was about 4 years ago.  He now makes what I make, and is on track to pass me up.

Most engineers come out of school making around $45k.  If you continue on the engineer track, you will typically top out around $80k by the end of your career.  There are a few engineers that I know who earn around $110-120k a year, but they're like 65 years old and have been doing it since the days of slide rules.

It just doesn't make sense to me, financially to stay here, when I can combine engineering with Law and come out of law school in 3 years making what it would have taken me my entire life to earn up to as a regular engineer.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2004, 02:06:45 PM »
Ahhh, the painful salary/raise math.

Yeah, I job last year gave me the same raise, which was considered huge!!!  My boss said "Now you have lunch money."  No, I am dead serious.

I think what all of this boils down to is the Mid-Twenties math.

I am going to be working for the next 20-40 years of my life. 

I can either make $40,000 or $150,000 +.  It is a painful thought but I KNOW all of you have had it.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

ShadowTMDG

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2004, 04:55:07 PM »
Why is corporate work horrible--have you SEEN Office Space?  Yeah, it exists.

yeah.   love the movie.  not a good depiction of corporate environment though.  it exists, but very rarely is it like that.

Actually, Office Space has many similarities to the software development portion of the company I work for:  people doing nothing and getting promoted, quirky people, annoying people, weekly reports, 9:15 trips to a local restaurant, etc - and this stuff happens everywhere I've seen to varying degrees.  That's one of the many reasons I'm getting out of software engineering and am heading for law.  At least with Law, you're able to go where you really want to and won't always have to work for some big company.  If you're good at law, you'll win cases and that will directly correlate with the amount of money you get.  In the corporate tech world, your income is based on a starting salary with incremental raises along the way.  The amount of work you do is not relevant as you'll get paid the same either way.  While this might be true for associates of law firms, it is much easier for someone to start his own practice and be successful if he has a reputation for winning his cases.

thechoson

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »
Does Office Space also accurately depict the job security amongst software engineers?  I mean, I think that was like 1999 (supposedly in the movie) and people still seemed very uneasy about their jobs, and it seemed ANYONE could get the ax at any time, no matter their quality of work

KALIND

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2004, 07:20:55 PM »
This month's issue of FORTUNE

at various times 40% of lawyers polled wished they'd be doing something else...
there are supposedly support groups out there focused on this issue

Lawyers in Transition
www.lawyersintransition.com

Ginatio

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2004, 07:27:58 PM »
I wish they would publish these types of statistics based on what schools the lawyers graduated from and what field of law they practice in...

This month's issue of FORTUNE

at various times 40% of lawyers polled wished they'd be doing something else...
there are supposedly support groups out there focused on this issue

Lawyers in Transition
www.lawyersintransition.com

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2004, 08:28:26 PM »
I wish they'd publish the stats based upon what these people wanted to be when they grew up in the first place.  You can go into any field and find people who hate their job because it's not what they wanted to do; it was what they ended up doing, or had to do, or felt pressured to do, or they just wanted the pay.  Guess what?  Tough titty said the kitty.  If you don't like what you do, there are a million books out there designed to help you figre out what you really have a passion for (What Color is Your Parachute is particularly renowned) so you don't make the same mistakes twice. 

If 40% of lawyers are unhappy, I say 40% of lawyers should be reading one of the above referenced books and figuring out why they're unhappy.  If it's because of the firm you're at, find a new firm.  If it's because you wanted to be a bass player in a jazz band, you're s.o.l. because only you can decide what that's worth to you.  If it's not worth giving up the money, so be it, but quit bitching already.  Lie in your bed already!!!

Sorry, ranting again............... ;D
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

urbanamy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2004, 02:57:18 PM »
Funny...I had my own mom telling me not to go to law school...because she thought law school is for dullards and unbearingly boring. She's not a lawyer, btw.

I think there's a lot of negativity involved for almost every job or career out there so it makes no difference. Only lawyers and doctors make a lot of money compared to other careers.

I'm not in law field to make a lot money (it'd be a nice bonus) but to make some difference, to learn, to become a role model for some young people, and to stay at a job for a really long time. I've seen so much in my life that propels me to law school. Every person's experience is unique.

Let's face it...real world is yucky. Complete necessity. No fire. Because no one, except for millionaires and billionaires, wants to work that hard for so little money and they want to goof off at any time. That's the way people are from what I noticed and talked with. Everyone wants an easy way out life where they don't have to worry about debt, buying a car, a house, caring for children, etc. Being in workforce for so many years, I realized that it's a necessity to work regardless of your career choice. If you strike it rich, then you don't need to go to law school. You have money to take care of yourself. I could be wrong on that because there are some people who love to WORK.  :o

But for me I'm doing it not because of money alone. I love to read, write and learn. Serve others and make small difference in other people's lives, etc. I'm ok with mundane, boring lawyer-like work.  ;)