Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How many people have not told you to go/tried to scare you away from LS?

12 (16%)
1-2
 14 (18.7%)
3-5
 16 (21.3%)
Seems like everyone I meet
 17 (22.7%)
I haven't noticed and/or given a *&^%.
 16 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6098 times)

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 16, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »
Has anyone else heard this from a lot of people.  What is mean to everyone on this board when they hear it?  I for one think I have researched plenty and know what I am getting into.  What has everyone here done to know they are making the right decision 125K and 3 years later?
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

Ginatio

Re: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 01:45:04 PM »
Funny you should mention this.

I actually was at a bar with a friend a couple of weeks back when Troy came out. We were drinking before the movie, and a fella in his mid 50s was sitting at the bar drinking. We sat down and as we waited for our drinks, he started a conversation and shared his onion rings with us. Well, my friend and I like onion rings, so we figured we'd talk to the man.

This guy was quite possibly the funniest bitter person I have ever met. After talking about some topical *&^%, he asked what we did for a living, at which point my friend said he was an engineering major. The guy goes "ahh. noble, but that *&^% is too boring".

Then I told him I'm starting law school in the fall, at which point he got this incredulous look on his face, and he said something to the effect of "you must be an a-hole. all those guys are f-ing assholes. lawyers are the scum of the earth. they're the ones that drop the bombs and *&^% all over society. you should quit. don't go to law school."

I explained to him that I'm going into IP law and that the a-hole stereotype isn't true of all lawyers. He replies with "ahh. I see you've already sold your soul, then. well. good luck to you. but just remember my face 20 years from now when you realize you threw your life away."

I then asked him what a good career path would be... he says "go work at a monastery. become a monk. if I had it to do over again, that's what I'd do".

I found the whole thing pretty funny until I asked him what he does for a living. He was a lawyer.  :o

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 01:55:42 PM »
I have had several lawyers tell me not to do it.

Funny thing is that I actually don't want to be a lawyer.  I just want to get into an Ivy Law school so that I can get a girlfriend.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 01:58:21 PM »
There are stats that show many lawyers are dissatisfied.  I think it has more to do with the type of law than the law itself.

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 02:00:48 PM »
hahaahahahahahahahahaha. good call, man. now that's keeping it real.

Funny thing is that I actually don't want to be a lawyer.  I just want to get into an Ivy Law school so that I can get a girlfriend.

Victor

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 02:04:52 PM »

I actually was at a bar with a friend a couple of weeks back when Troy came out. We were drinking before the movie, and a fella in his mid 50s was sitting at the bar drinking. We sat down and as we waited for our drinks, he started a conversation and shared his onion rings with us. Well, my friend and I like onion rings, so we figured we'd talk to the man.

This guy was quite possibly the funniest bitter person I have ever met. After talking about some topical *&^%, he asked what we did for a living, at which point my friend said he was an engineering major. The guy goes "ahh. noble, but that *&^% is too boring".

Then I told him I'm starting law school in the fall, at which point he got this incredulous look on his face, and he said something to the effect of "you must be an a-hole. all those guys are f-ing assholes. lawyers are the scum of the earth. they're the ones that drop the bombs and *&^% all over society. you should quit. don't go to law school."

I explained to him that I'm going into IP law and that the a-hole stereotype isn't true of all lawyers. He replies with "ahh. I see you've already sold your soul, then. well. good luck to you. but just remember my face 20 years from now when you realize you threw your life away."

I then asked him what a good career path would be... he says "go work at a monastery. become a monk. if I had it to do over again, that's what I'd do".

I found the whole thing pretty funny until I asked him what he does for a living. He was a lawyer.  :o

HAHAHA . . .

Funny yet interesting.

Was he drunk?

Victor

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 02:06:04 PM »

are you serious?

Victor

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 02:09:19 PM »
I told some people about my decision to go to law school and some refer to my decision as selling my soul. Also some of my undergrad professors try to scare me by saying law school is torture.

Ginatio

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 02:13:40 PM »
He was buzzed, but not drunk. He was also very bitter at having gotten married and having 3 or 4 daughters. he warned against that as well. lol

HAHAHA . . .

Funny yet interesting.

Was he drunk?

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 02:18:14 PM »

lol that's funny as hell even after you found out he was a lawyer. (that's why we'll have the side business)

but like most of you, the only people who tell me not to become a lawyer are lawyers themselves. and I always seem to meet them at bars and they're males. when I told this one guy, like you G, he went off on me and told me to go to med school, then he muttered to himself "that's what I should've done" and threw back like 3 drinks in a row.

but this one lawyer I've met through my job (female) is a corporate lawyer and she's fairly content. always traveling and she said she's never bored and makes good money (she didn't say how much) and she's a SU Law grad.