Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Homosexual PS  (Read 13792 times)

SkullTatt

Homosexual PS
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:38:10 PM »
It seems like a big question for the personal statement is whether to play "the gay card" or not. Did you? Are you going to? Why or why not?

I am going to, since a significant amount of the volunteer experience I want to mention is GLBT related. But if it weren't, I'm not so sure...

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexual PS
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 03:45:54 PM »
Sure, why not.  It seems like a lot of schools are interested in admitting GLBT students.

NathanB

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 08:44:09 PM »
I would think it depends partly on where you want to apply.  NYU, sure.  Pepperdine, probably not.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 09:10:20 PM »
i did.

NathanB

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:24:07 PM »
I have thought about doing it.  I'm planning to apply to NYU, Columbia, and Fordham (as I want to go to school in NYC).  For NYU and Columbia, I may.  Fordham, I'm not so sure.  I don't think it would help me any there, and might just hurt me.

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 09:45:27 PM »
I don't see how it could hurt, but I don't think you'll score any minority points by writing about it. Why? Because gays and lesbians aren't exactly underrepresented in most law student bodies (at least the top schools).

Two of my gay friends wrote about homosexuality in their PS's and saw disparate results. One is a rising 2L at Harvard and the other is going to Miami next month. I didn't read my HLS friend's PS but it might have been decisive, given that at HYS you need some other edge in addition to great numbers. My buddy at Miami was pretty frustrated with how his applications fared, but that had much more to do with his LSAT score than how his PS was perceived.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 08:54:54 AM »
I attend Fordham Law; I don't think you should make assumptions based it on its status on a Jesuit school.  The school does quite a bit to reach out to gay students (and to Jewish and Moslem students as well).  So if playing the queer card was your plan, I don't think you need to adjust it for Fordham. 

NathanB

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 03:05:45 PM »
That actually surprises me.  I mean, i know the jesuits are basically the hippies of the catholic world, but I still figured that gays weren't the most loved group.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, did you like Fordham?

I attend Fordham Law; I don't think you should make assumptions based it on its status on a Jesuit school. The school does quite a bit to reach out to gay students (and to Jewish and Moslem students as well). So if playing the queer card was your plan, I don't think you need to adjust it for Fordham.

SkullTatt

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 05:41:04 PM »
I don't think you should make assumptions based it on its status on a Jesuit school.  The school does quite a bit to reach out to gay students (and to Jewish and Moslem students as well).  So if playing the queer card was your plan, I don't think you need to adjust it for Fordham.

That is good to know, because I am especially concerned about a couple of Jesuit schools I am applying to (not Fordham, but Georgetown and University of San Francisco)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 08:59:20 AM »
Nate

Fordham Law is a good school.  It can be summed up just the way you'd think: third best law school in New York City.  By best, I mean based on its reputation with New York employers.  I don't necessarily know that the professors are as a whole more distinguished than those at Cardozo or Brooklyn Law.  I'm inclined to think that the actual quality of professors is the same. 

I stress again that I don't think you should adjust any law school decision based on Fordham's status as a Jesuit university.  Perhaps it's relevant to the undergrad, but not to the law school.  Few law students actually pay attention to the university itself.  The law school had to take down plaques with the University's own logo because of complaints about the Catholic symbols.  Many observant Jews attend, and teach at, Fordham Law.  Kosher food is served at most events. 
There's an active student group for gay students, and a Lavender Law (whatever that is) day for firms to recruit. 
I'll bet if you ask five random Fordham Law students what Fordham's mascot is, not a single one could tell you (it's the Rams, by the way.  Which, depending on your imagination, sounds a little gay).

Is there anything else that you want to know?