Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Homosexual PS  (Read 13608 times)

SFnative

Re: Homosexual PS
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2006, 06:17:50 AM »
If you really want to stand out, don't behave like a knee-jerk, liberal homo, either.  Throw some right-leaning bones into the essay so they know you actually have a brain.

"And it was during the summer I spent fundraising for the Log Cabin Republicans that I discovered my passion for the law..."

LOL, the Log Cabin Reps are trying to carve out an ideological niche for the LGBT populations on the right which is not necessarily bad for the LGBT movement. Sometimes, the government does need to move out of the bedroom. We shouldnt be tooo hard on them ;)

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2006, 11:21:54 PM »
I did.  And they all (top tier) accepted me AND offered me money.  Yes, even Fordham, that bastion of Jesuit goodness.  And though I don't want to do public interest, they even offered me public interest scholarships.  The whole profession is looking to diversify.  I plan to play this card for the partner track, too.

The key is to do it in a thoughtful way.  Stating that life discriminated against you will not do the trick.  Saying that witnessing your uncle - friend/mentor/teacher - die of AIDS changed your (gay) life, will.

If you really want to stand out, don't behave like a knee-jerk, liberal homo, either.  Throw some right-leaning bones into the essay so they know you actually have a brain.

In my personal statement I didn't write that "life discriminated against" me. I did mention actual acts of discrimination against me because of my sexuality, not for the sake of drama but to show how I overcame them. I don't see how a story about some acquaintance of mine dying of AIDS would trump that. (Associating gays with AIDS... I'm not that much of a knee-jerk, conservative homo.)

And right-leaning bones = having a brain?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

SFnative

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:56 AM »
I got the Oklahoma gay spam bomb today as well.

haha did anyone go to their chat thing?  i thought about it, just bc i am curious... have gotten tons of glbt emails from them.  makes me wonder what they're going for.

i got some diversity-call email from HLS a few months ago, so i threw in an app just for the hell of it.  but i think harvard is swarming with dykes so i'm not really sure why they feel they've got to recruit more.  but i figured, hell why not.

i'd stay away from regent. 

do any of y'all have any thoughts at all about USD, though?  ??? catholic and conservative, sure... but they do have a pride law...

don't know how the school is, but san diego, while very conservative politically, is very socially tolerant. have been out and about there for nearly 14 years, and can say that while it is no los angeles (thank god) or san fran (too bad) it certainly has a thriving life...

I think SD, unlike SF, varies alot in life style because its so vast. The more in-land part, I wouldnt characterize as socially tolerant but certainly along the coast. Where do you live mobo? I was in La Jolla, wasnt feeling it, then moved to University Heights/Hillcrest and loved it there ;) Naturally. AH, I do miss sd sometimes too bad it doesnt have a top notch law school.

ashke14

• AOL Instant Messenger - Kalenedral14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »
Hey all.  First time post, because I just had to laugh.  I actually did intern with LCR at their DC office this summer (an amazing experience, honestly - they're phenomenal guys doing some really great work) and that was a significant part of my PS.  Seems to be working well, though it's early to talk - I applied rather late in the game, and only just heard back from my first school, an acceptance at Fordham yesterday.  I have to agree with the above poster who said that showing yourself to be something other than a kneejerk liberal is probably a good idea, whatever your politics - an advisor of mine liked the fact that I tossed in a reference to my work within Christian groups on campus.  Anything to provide a unique angle, I guess.

Curious, anybody on here going for a Point Foundation scholarship?

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2006, 10:51:54 PM »
Hey all.  First time post, because I just had to laugh.  I actually did intern with LCR at their DC office this summer (an amazing experience, honestly - they're phenomenal guys doing some really great work) and that was a significant part of my PS.  Seems to be working well, though it's early to talk - I applied rather late in the game, and only just heard back from my first school, an acceptance at Fordham yesterday.  I have to agree with the above poster who said that showing yourself to be something other than a kneejerk liberal is probably a good idea, whatever your politics - an advisor of mine liked the fact that I tossed in a reference to my work within Christian groups on campus.  Anything to provide a unique angle, I guess.

Curious, anybody on here going for a Point Foundation scholarship?

I have no idea what a "kneejerk liberal" is. When does one cease to be a thoughtful person with a genuine commitment to progressive values and become "kneejerk"?

As an application reader, I think I would be much more impressed with a candidate who can show how he acts on his beliefs, rather than a middle-of-the-road type who tries to win everybody over by "throwing right-leaning bones".

I also disagree with the implication that being Christian is somehow inconsistent with being liberal.

Sorry to come down on your first post... but welcome to LSD! ;)
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

ashke14

• AOL Instant Messenger - Kalenedral14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2006, 12:29:27 AM »
Hey Odaiko, and thanks for the greeting.  Forgive the miscommunication on my part - by referencing my work with campus religious groups, I was not implying that that was a part of my conservatism, but rather as an example of being willing to reach out to groups that typically are conservative (at least on glbt issues).  That certainly is/was the case on my campus, at least.  It is a point of distinction from "kneejerk" glbt liberal activism to be willing to talk reasonably to people of faith who disagree with you... I am not tarring all passionate liberals with this brush (I dearly love several such people, and love debating them nearly as much!) but surely you know of the folks who haunt queer clubs and seem to live for radical leftist politics, railing against "the rethugs" or painting all people of faith as ignorant fools, believing that nothing good has come out of religion since its inception?  That fringe group, sadly enough, is something of a stereotype of the gay rights activist, and anybody who demonstrates any sort of overt pride has to combat that image.  That's all I meant when I advocated that people show something counter to that expectation - it may help to make their thoughtful natures clear.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2006, 11:18:34 PM »
example of a kneejerk liberal:

A liberal who eyes a superstud in a bar, feels his heart start pounding when Mr. Stud walks over and starts chatting him up, and then upon learning that Mr. Stud is a Republican, loses all interest and needs another drink.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2006, 10:15:41 PM »
example of a kneejerk liberal:

A liberal who eyes a superstud in a bar, feels his heart start pounding when Mr. Stud walks over and starts chatting him up, and then upon learning that Mr. Stud is a Republican, loses all interest and needs another drink.

I tried dating a Republican.  Trust me, it's better to lose all interest immediately.

joespecial

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2006, 12:34:15 AM »
I don't think I could be turned on by a gay person who was self-hating enough to be a Republican. I think that would be kind of repugnant.

Maybe if it were a straight guy who was drunk and felt me up, that might work...

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2006, 08:06:01 AM »
I tried dating a Republican.  Trust me, it's better to lose all interest immediately.

I once dated a Republican, former underwear model.
It was bad.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06