Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Homosexual PS  (Read 13193 times)

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexual PS
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »
Ok, you've just confirmed that I need to go to a school where all the men are trolls. Boys... studying... a deadly combination.

Seriously, I checked out your LSN profile and I really admire the fact that you are applying to a lot of reach schools. I am of the belief that good things happen when you set your sights high.

I actually took a similar approach as you did in writing my PS. It focuses on how one aspect of my sexuality (the process of coming out) has affected me professionally and personally, but it's not just "I'm gay. Blah blah blah..."

Good luck with your apps!
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »
well, you do have much better numbers. good luck on the other schools. i am sure you will do well.

go to the best school you can, they seem to have the ugliest gay boys. i know because all the ones i work with went to HYS.

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2006, 02:35:52 AM »

go to the best school you can, they seem to have the ugliest gay boys. i know because all the ones i work with went to HYS.

LOL

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2006, 09:32:06 PM »
odaiko, I agree with you that some of the midwestern schools have fewer out people.  I also think you made a good choice in coming out in your PS if that is an important part of your life.

at HLS, we're working with the admissions office to be proactive about LGBT applicants, as part of a general project by a dean's committee on assessing/improving the LGBT experience at the law school

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2006, 10:30:48 PM »
Oh my god! I'm not going to school with you either, absy! I seriously need to find troll-central and go to that school.

I've heard tales of conservative administration/liberal student conflicts from friends who go to Harvard UG. Have you had any clashes at the law school? It's exciting to hear you're being proactive with the admissions staff. Now be proactive in the get-me-into-school-there department and I'll scope it out for myself. ;)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2006, 10:53:34 PM »
we haven't had any problems with a conservative administration.  we haven't gotten a promise of continuous LGBT courses (though it has been the case for the past several years), but otherwise I'm quite happy with our relationship with the administration.

and the stuff with the admissions staff was at least partially initiated on their end.  it hasn't gone to the level of being able to influence individual admissions.  yet.

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »
This is all very good to know. Thanks for your work as an advocate at your school! Harvard is Harvard, so any positive changes for GLBT folks in your admissions policies will probably trickle down to the other schools with time.

When you say you're working with the admissions office to be "proactive about LGBT applicants", what does that mean? What are you asking them to do?

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2006, 11:15:46 PM »
it's not so much what we're asking of them; they're working with us to do the best they can.  making sure that readers are aware of the various ways that people might come out in their application, perhaps putting an explicit mention on the application itself, Lambda reaching out to those who have come out

one member of the admissions office noticed that our spring LGBT academic conference coincides with one of the admit weekends, and he wanted to see if we were willing to invite admits and how best to spread word about it

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »
Has HLS indicated why they would want their readers to identify if a person comes out on the application? URM? Positive/negative? It's not clear to me why they would want to identify that data if they aren't going to use it in some way beyond post-admissions stuff (encouraging admitted GLBT students to attend, etc.).

As you know, I totally outed myself in my PS, but it still feels like a gamble to me because I don't really know how adcoms will interpret it. Therefore I'm very interested to know if you have gleaned anything on this topic from the admissions staff you have collaborated with.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2006, 11:44:27 PM »
it definitely won't be a negative, though we're not URMs (we're quite overrepresented with respect to the overall population).  but it does help make someone a more interesting candidate

basically, they want to make sure that readers understand the person they're dealing with as much as possible