Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 30 yr old, debating btwn UVA, Duke, and UT...need to reply to these places soon  (Read 2524 times)

gcp

• View Profile
Hi and HELP!
I am 30yrs old and headed to law school. I have been working as a professional, classical musician for the last 7 years. The pressing question is where can I be happy. I suddenly have 3 choices (Duke, UVA, and Texas) due to some wait list movement.

I love Austin, where UT is located, but I am worried that the regional reputation of the school might limit my future job prospects when I graduate. At this point, I am not willing to sign the rest of my adult life away to working in Texas. When thinking about the other schools, I worry about the small towns they are located in and the chance to find some social outlets that involve people in their later 20s and early 30s (and to be totally honest a future husband/partner).

Could anyone offer any insights into being an older law student at any of these schools or frankly at any school?  Do you have thoughts on meeting people in Charlottesville, Durham or Austin?
Thanks,
G

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UVA or Duke, but I am biased to the Southeast.

Guy Incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The 3 schools you listed are all top 15 schools.  You will be fine.  Good luck. 
"It's okay, I saw an episode of Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on, but I got the gist of it" - Lionel Hutz

BigSplitDC

If you do reasonably well, Texas will place you in the same jobs as UVA and Duke.  They're virtually indistinguishable except that Texas graduates tend to stay in Texas where the legal market is thriving and there are not many top law schools.

SkullTatt

I don't think of UT Austin as a regional school, I think it's definitely national quality. (I'm a California resident for what that's worth.)

needhelp

• View Profile
Well, you received simultaneous offers from three schools? 

I would scratch UT and choose between UVA and Duke. 

Good luck. 

Hi and HELP!
I am 30yrs old and headed to law school. I have been working as a professional, classical musician for the last 7 years. The pressing question is where can I be happy. I suddenly have 3 choices (Duke, UVA, and Texas) due to some wait list movement.

I love Austin, where UT is located, but I am worried that the regional reputation of the school might limit my future job prospects when I graduate. At this point, I am not willing to sign the rest of my adult life away to working in Texas. When thinking about the other schools, I worry about the small towns they are located in and the chance to find some social outlets that involve people in their later 20s and early 30s (and to be totally honest a future husband/partner).

Could anyone offer any insights into being an older law student at any of these schools or frankly at any school?  Do you have thoughts on meeting people in Charlottesville, Durham or Austin?
Thanks,
G

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I visited my friend in Chapel Hill years ago, after living my entire life in New York City.  People were so remarkably friendly there; it freaked me out a little.  Great thrift shops, too. 

I think that the Virginia JD travels the best out of those three, but mine is not an especially well-informed opinion.

Do you have thoughts on meeting people in Charlottesville, Durham or Austin?
Thanks,
G

freshk

• View Profile
    • Email
You have a tough decision to make, but one that really has no wrong choice.  All three are great schools and are located in what I would consider wonderful places to live.  Because I am from Texas, I am somewhat partial to Austin.  It is definately a cool place to live.  I applied to all three schools, and in my research into them, I found the law school at UVA most appealling.  I beleive that it offers an almost ideal combination of academics, environment, QOL, and career prospects.  But that is just my opinion.  Best of luck at whichever school you choose.

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I know that Durham isn't a huge place, but since it is part of a pretty large metropolitan area, I think you'd find it doesn't feel that small.  Given what you were expressing as concerns, I'd choose Duke from that list.  Of course, as a Carolina fan through and through, that sentence just made me cringe. :o  Best of luck!  I agree that all three are really great options and you would not have a huge problem taking a degree from UT to anywhere in the nation if you really prefer Austin.

FatherOf5

• View Profile
DUKE by far.  If you're looking for a social life, Durham is in the "triangle."  Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.  There are more biotech companies here than anywhere in the Research Triangle Park. NC is cheap and the hospitality is great. Plus, if you like military types, Ft. Bragg is about 1.5 hours away (talk about nightlife!).  I'm glad to see others focused on having some fun while in LS  ;).  Good luck wherever you choose to go!  [Just watch out for the golddiggers when they find out you're a 1L in your sexual prime!!!]  8)